Git unusable slow

Hi Maaz,

There are a couple of things that could be in play here. Toad uses the Git command-line client to actually perform the necessary work within Git. It also calls the log command to receive information about the current state of the working file within the local Git repository. Unfortunately, Toad needs to call this command in order to gather that information when needed.

As for the slow performance, there are two potential causes that I can think off the top of my head that we've seen in the past. The first is that the local repository's database has grown quite large or has become (in some way) corrupt. Have you tried issuing that same command from a DOS command prompt (not git-bash)? Does it also take a while to execute that command? if so, what is the size of your ".git" folder which houses your local Git repository? Is it overly large?

The other potential cause that we've seen is when real time virus software (or other security applications) interfere with the execution of command-line processes. In this scenario, we've seen situations where a security application would dynamically scan the application being executed (in this case, "Git.exe") every time Toad spawned its process. This caused significant slowdown in performance. The solution to this for some was to whitelist the Git.exe application, as well as possibly the working folder for your Oracle files, with the security application so those applications / files weren't scanned every time they were accessed or changed. Here's a link to a similar post that happened for a user with SVN:

I would check to see if you're running an anti-virus program, and if so, make sure that you have Git.exe whitelisted in that program.

Let us know if that helps to alleviate the issue you're running into.

Thanks!

-John