Toad World® Forums

How do I insert a null value into a table?

I have the following table defined:

CREATE TABLE testtable
(
id NUMERIC (20, 0) NOT NULL,
“name” CHARACTER VARYING (100) NOT NULL
)

In Toad Edge 2.0.2 when I use the “Data” tab of the table viewer and I insert a new record, I cannot figure out a way to insert a null value into the “name” column!

I click the plus icon to add a new row to the table. Then I double click on the “name” column, enter some string like “test 123”, and press Enter. Then I double click on the “name” column again and try to set it to a null value, but when I erase the contents of the field and press Enter, the value saved to the field is a blank string, not a null value.

How do I use the table viewer to enter a null value into a field? in Toad for Oracle, when I erase the contents of a column in a record using the table viewer, the value is set to null.

Hello,
you can’t set NULL value for any cell in your table:
CREATE TABLE testtable
(
id NUMERIC (20, 0) NOT NULL,
“name” CHARACTER VARYING (100) NOT NULL
)
because this table have set constraints NOT NULL for booth columns.

If you want to remove the Not Null constraint then:

1. Open Columns tab
  2. Select the column to which you want to remove Not Null constraint
  3. Open the Pop-Up menu (by mouse righ button) and select Drop “Not Null” constraint…

If you have a table with columns without NOT NULL constraint, then you can set NULL by two ways:

1. Select cell with value were you can set NULL, but don’t open data edit and open Pop-Up menu (by right mouse button) and selecet Set Null.
  2. Select cell with value were you can set NULL, but don’t open data edit and press Delete key.

Libor

Thanks for showing me how to set Null values in Toad Edge.

Please forgive me for constantly comparing Toad Edge to Toad for Oracle, but our dev team is in a big Oracle to EDB Postgres migration project, so I’m using both tools extensively, and I keep hoping Toad Edge will behave like Toad for Oracle… they’re both Quest products, right? Toad for Oracle behaves the way I described in my last post… even if the column does not accept NULL values, when I clear the value, Toad for Oracle will attempt to set a NULL value for that column and when the record is saved, it will give an error indicating that the column doesn’t accept NULL values.