New Toad Version on same machine not able to detect Oracle Home, why and how can this be solved?

Ohh Beautiful, you got that right. This silly mistake made me cry …lol…But yes now this issue is solved.

So what i learn from this get the correct name for ENV variable and second newer version of toad must needs to be pointed out to correct tnsnames using environment variable.

Happy to see these two cute green mark in my toad finally.

toad_cute.png

Thank you John once again and to all who helped to get this sorted out.

With Regards,

Pankaj

Hi John!

We are running 64-bit Toad for Oracle and we have 64-bit version of the Oracle client installed.

I’m running Toad from MS Terminal Servers.

As far as I know nothing were changed on the Terminal Servers except installing the new version of Toad.
Toad 12.8 is still installed and with that version it’s working as expected.

I’m also having Toad 12.9 installed on my PC for testing purposes and I don’t see this behaviour locally…

On my PC I also have both an 11.2 and a 12.1 64-bit Oracle client installed.
Both visible in Toad and I can choose which one to use when connecting.

Best regards

/Rickard

Hi Rickard,

It sounds to me as if the version of Toad recently installed on your Terminal Servers is 32 bit as opposed to 64. This is pretty much confirmed as the 12.8 version and your local version are working as expected.

Can you get your sys admin people to confirm that they installed the 64 bit version? Or indeed, confirm that they actually installed the 32 bit version.

HTH

Cheers,

Norm. [ TeamT ]

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Hi Norm!

No, it’s the 64-bit version of Toad installed, see screenshot below.
Some output from the support bundle confirms this as well:

** APPLICATION INFORMATION - FULL VERSION (64-bit)

Support Bundle for Toad for Oracle 12.9.0.71
This copy of Toad for Oracle registered to DOMSTOLSVERKET
Bundle: Toad for Oracle Xpert (64-bit), Add-Ons: DB Admin Module
Edition: Toad DBA Suite for Oracle – RAC Edition
Toad for Oracle Executable Location: C:\Program Files\Dell\Toad for Oracle 2016 Suite\Toad for Oracle 12.9\Toad.exe
User Profile Directory: \ts-lic1\toad$\Quest\rickhok\Toad for Oracle\12.9
QSEServer DLL Location: C:\Program Files\Dell\Toad for Oracle 2016 Suite\Toad for Oracle 12.9\qse.dll
QSEServer DLL Version: 12.9.0.71
QP5 DLL Location: C:\Program Files\Dell\Toad for Oracle 2016 Suite\Toad for Oracle 12.9\QP5.dll
QP5 DLL Version: 5.294.16118.26247
QP5CA DLL Location: C:\Program Files\Dell\Toad for Oracle 2016 Suite\Toad for Oracle 12.9\QP5CA.dll
QP5CA DLL Version: 5.294.16118.26455
SciLexer DLL Location: C:\Program Files\Dell\Toad for Oracle 2016 Suite\Toad for Oracle 12.9\SciLexer.dll
SciLexer DLL Version: 3.6.1.2
TOAD Policy Location: C:\Program Files\Dell\Toad for Oracle 2016 Suite\Toad for Oracle 12.9\Toad.pdl

Best regards

/Rickard

Evening Rickard,

On 27/06/16 17:05, rickard.hokros wrote:

Hi Norm!

No, it's the 64-bit version of Toad installed, see screenshot below.

Some output from the support bundle confirms this as well:

** APPLICATION INFORMATION - FULL VERSION (64-bit)

Well, that's me stumped then! I would have expected/hoped to see that

there was no mention of the bitness of the "faulty" installation.

Something doesn't make sense here.

I shall wind my neck back in (!) and leave it to the developers to see

if they have any further suggestions. I'm afraid I have none, sorry. :frowning:

--

Cheers,

Norm. [TeamT]

Hi Norm!

Appreciate that you try to help! :slight_smile:

Today when I got to work Toad 12.9 worked as expected…

I was able to choose which installed Oracle client to use when connecting to a database…

Really strange!

As far as I know nothing has changed on the terminal server.

Hope it continues to work… :slight_smile:

Best regards

/Rickard

Evening Rickard,

That’s definitely strange. Hopefully it will keep working.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Norm. [ TeamT ]

Short moment of happiness…

Turned out that I was able to choose Oracle client but Toad did’nt use my choice.

Instead it made the connection with the same client I used last time connecting to the database.

Guess I’ll have to create a support ticket for this issue.

Best regards

/Rickard

Afternoon Rickard,

Did you have any other connections open to other databases, when you connected with this one? The way things work is that if you connect to any database with any oracle client, then all subsequent connections will use the same client.

If you need to use one specific client, close your other connections first, then choose the one you want to use, make it the default if you wish, then connect.

I have three clients on my desktop. I use two of them in the main. If I’m using the 11gr2 client, I cannot connect to anything with the 10g client. And vice versa.

The 11g client is my default so all new connections will attempt to use it, unless thee is a connection open using the 10g one.

HTH.

Cheers,

Norm. [ TeamT ]

Hi Norm!

Your description is accurate.
It’s exactly how Toad is handeling it.

When I need to change Oracle client I have to disconnect from all databases, start a new connection and choose client to use.
Afterwards all connections use that client.

But with this version of Toad sometimes I can’t choose which client to use eventhough I don’t have any open connections.

Best regards

/Rickard

It might be your process. Let’s assume you have more than one previously used connection shown in the login window. Each of those has many stored properties tied to them including the home. As you select a connection the controls to the right update to reflect the saved properties of that connection. If the connection you want to use is not currently selected, you change the home on the right side, and then select the connection you want on the left then you’ve just blown away your new home setting. First activate the connection on the left and then change any properties to the right that you want to like the home.

Michael

Hi Michael!

Perhaps that’s the problem.

I think I would have noticed this behaviour in earlier versions of Toad but I shall pay more attention to
how I select connections in the future and see if this solves the problem.

Thanks for your reply!

Best regards

/Rickard