Optimization differences between 6.2.1 and 7.0 Beta

Hi,

Happy New Year to everyone !!

This question is similar to a previous question I posted regarding the number of rewrites generated by the 6.2.1 Optimizer vs the 7.0 Beta one. This one, however, is simply that a SQL statement passed into 6.2.1 generated 413 rewrites - 26 alternatives with unique execution plans and yielded an 87% improvement and yet when the exact same statement is optimized using 7.0, there are no improvements to be found. (Same Intelligence Level - 4)

I understand the issue that was found in 6.2.1 in terms of the number of statements being incorrect, but the above example is going to be very confusing to customers and I feel will ultimately lead to a lot of Support calls.

Regards,

John

Hi John,

Happy New Year to you also.

You said you optimized in 7.0, does it mean you optimize in Optimization Queue or in SQLab? I would like to understand more if you were comparing the result of the SQLab in 6.2.1 and 7.0; or that you were comparing the result of SQLab with that in Optimization Queue.

Also, to help check if it is a potential problem, please save the tuning session into file (using the Save Session button in SQLab) and then send us the files of the 2 optimization.

Thanks,
Alex