Optimizer asking for bind variables for fields pulled through dblink?


I am trying out SQL Optimizer 7.5.2 for Oracle and I have a SQL statement that pulls some fields through a dblnk along with fields that come from the source system.

When I run the optimizer, it comes back and asks for the bind variables and all the fields that are being pulled through the dblinks are being presented in a prompt “Setting Bind Variables”) for me to fill in the variables with data types.

The query runs fine through TOAD.

Is there something I can do to get past this?

Thank you,

Hi Jerry,

Can you post the SQL statement that is causing you difficulty? If the statement is sensitive, then you can also do any of the following:

  1. Send the SQL to me in Private Message from this forum (assuming it isn’t too sensitive a query).
  2. Post/send an example SQL that reproduces the problem in your environment
  3. Post/send an example SQL that demonstrates the problem but may not be runnable (for us to get an idea of the structure of your SQL that may offer us some understanding of where any problems may exist)
  4. Open a support ticket and initiate the troubleshooting process with one of our support engineers (they may ask you for similar information but will also work tirelessly to get to the bottom of the issue as quickly as possible. :-))


Wow, after such a long time, I’m embarrassed to reply, but I will!

Thank you Greg for responding and offering to help.

The issue is that there were ampersands (&) in the query that someone had put in to concatenate strings. It was picking those up as parameters. I got rid of those.

Sorry I didn’t respond sooner, I happen to come back in here looking for something and saw my post.


Thank you for updating the post. No worry about the time. It is always good to see people coming back. I hope you have found what you are looking for here.