Oracle database connection methods

TOAD 11.6.1

TOAD has three methods to connect to an Oracle database as follows: TNS, Direct and LDAP

I typically use TNS. When do I use Direct or LDAP? is there a doc somewhere that describes the pros and cons of each?

Thanks.

If you use TNSNames, then all of the connection info is in a TNSNames.ora file.

If you use LDAP, then all of the connection info is in database somewhere, probably managed by someone else.

If you use Direct, then you enter the connection info on the login screen (and it doesn’t have to exist anywhere else)

In terms of speed/performance, they are the same. Use whichever is most convenient for you.

I tried to find a good definition of LDAP in the Oracle documentation and after searching 20 pages on their site I couldn’t find something that would provide a simple answer. What I did find is this: www.idevelopment.info/…/LDAP_8.shtml. The intro section is probably sufficient but I included the whole article.

I hope this helps.

Mark Kurtz

#Iwork4Dell

@ToadSC_CHI

Thank you sir.

From: Mark Kurtz [mailto:bounce-Mark_Kurtz@toadworld.com]

Sent: Monday, June 15, 2015 11:27 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Oracle database connection methods

RE: Oracle database connection methods

Reply by Mark Kurtz

I tried to find a good definition of LDAP in the Oracle documentation and after searching 20 pages on their site I couldn’t find something that would provide a simple answer. What I did find
is this:
www.idevelopment.info/…/LDAP_8.shtml
. The intro section is probably sufficient but I included the whole article.

I hope this helps.

Mark Kurtz

#!work4Dell

@ToadSC_CHI

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.