Reverse Engineered ERD not showing relationships

Hi, my first question! I have downloaded the trial version of Toad Data Modeler. I have gone through the reverse engineering wizard and have selected tables and relationships. However, when the ERD is generated it only has the tables and NO RELATIONSHIPS. Is this a limitation of the Trial version? Or am I missing something? I have watched the demo of how to do this and followed it exactly.

Hi - you may need to use the Infer Relationships feature. If the database does not have constraints in it that define the relationships between tables then they won’t be included in the reverse engineer process. Toad Data Modeler can ‘infer’ them by analyzing the tables and columns. You can read more about this feature on this blog post:

www.toadworld.com/…/how-to-infer-relationships.aspx

Thanks!

thank you for your answer, however, that didn’t work either. My database does have FK constraints defined. I use Toad for MySQL for doing other stuff and am able to bring in a few tables and it brings in the relationships just fine. I also noticed that when I look at the SQL Script tab for the table it doesn’t show the constraint defined in the Toad Data Modeler but it does in Toad!! So I am not sure what the issue is. I used to use SQL Maestro and was able to quickly generate an ERD from the database. Not having the same experience with Toad Data Modeler. If you have any other suggestions for me I would appreciate it. Otherwise I think I am going to have to look for another tool to do this other than Toad. ;-(

Hi - that should work as long as the constraints are defined and the Relationships box is checked in the “What to Reverse” tab. If you want please contact me at kevin.stern@quest.com and we can set up a time to talk and I can help you through the process.