Source control question

source control question

ive been using CVS and SVN for years without any problem except for one
situation
i would like to create a branch some folks call it a tag or distro) based on
user-defined criteria e.g.
Date (all files checked in between X and Y)
developers who worked on this branch(angela, nikolas, gordon and stephen)
mods for a particulat client-customer-base - e.g. modifications for

is this possible with FLOSS?
Any links you can suggest on FLOSS features would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
Martin Gainty

Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung/Note de déni et de confidentialité

Diese Nachricht ist vertraulich. Sollten Sie nicht der vorgesehene Empfaenger
sein, so bitten wir hoeflich um eine Mitteilung. Jede unbefugte Weiterleitung
oder Fertigung einer Kopie ist unzulaessig. Diese Nachricht dient lediglich dem
Austausch von Informationen und entfaltet keine rechtliche Bindungswirkung.
Aufgrund der leichten Manipulierbarkeit von E-Mails koennen wir keine Haftung
fuer den Inhalt uebernehmen.

Ce message est confidentiel et peut être privilégié. Si vous n’êtes pas le destinataire prévu, nous te demandons avec bonté que pour satisfaire informez l’expéditeur. N’importe quelle diffusion non autorisée ou la copie de ceci est interdite. Ce message sert à l’information seulement et n’aura pas n’importe quel effet légalement obligatoire. Étant donné que les email peuvent facilement être sujets à la manipulation, nous ne pouvons accepter aucune responsabilité pour le contenu fourni.

Hi Roger,

a) Versioning, easily extract any version of the file in
it's history
CVS, Subversion, Git.

b) Forking, have two developers check out the same file, on
check-in, conflict resolution presented.
CVS, Subversion, Git.

c) Tagging, tag a specific version of a specific file.
This will allow the rebuild of a particular "distribution"
if necessary.
CVS, Subversion, Git.

d) Nested tagging, this will allow a "minor" vs "major"
distribution to be rebuilt.
CVS??, Subversion, Git.
I'm not sure about CVS. Subversion can branch a branch or tag a branch
or branch a tag or tag a tag! Git would simply fork and new fork.

e) Problem tagging, call this "work request" "bug fix"
"whatever". This feature would allow all associating
files/versions impacted by a specific bug fix to be tagged
so you know they all belong to that issue.
CVS??, Subversion, Git.
Again, I'm not sure about CVS. With Subversion when the fix was
committed, the repository could be tagged and that would show the files
for the whole repository that were at the correct version to fix that
bug. Git is the same, a puch (or whatevr) can be tagged. (I think - I'm
too far from my books!)

f) Reporting, must be able to report on a number of queries
such as pulling up the complete comment history of a single
file, identifying all the files/versions associated with a
specific bug, identifying all files/versions for a specific
distribution, etc.
CVS??, Subversion, Git.

That was probably not all that helpful! Sorry.

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else. We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it. We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes. If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Hi Martin,

ive been using CVS and SVN for years without any problem
except for one situation i would like to create a branch some folks
call it a tag or
distro) based on user-defined criteria e.g.

I think Git can do this, but I'm not 100% certain. Check out a few of
the online books I posted the URLs for earlier. It might help.

With Subversion you tag the repository (or folder or file) but I'm, not
sure you can tag a list of files separately in one go. It's certainly
not anything I've done. I usually tag my releases so it's everything in
that "project" at that repository version that is tagged and not just
"files edited by Norm" or whatever.

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else. We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it. We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes. If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk