SQl history

Is there any way to control what goes into the sql history?

In versions 4 and 5 if a query was saved it wouldn’t get added to the history. But in 6.x it does.

Likewise, under 4 and 5 a series of statements (such as a bunch of inserts) run together got added as a single entry. Making them easier to clean out. Now every row gets added as it’s own entry.

Hi BacchusPS,

There is an option to include all sql or exclude all but there is no option to control what goes into the sql history.

In the current v6.7, there are checkboxes in the history panel that can be used to filter types of sql to be displayed in the history list (all still be stored/saved in the history though). We would like to ask if those options would meet your requirements.

I believe you refer that ‘INSERT’ statement was not saved in history in v4.x, 5.x.
If you ask for the option to exclude ‘insert’ from history entries compleletly, then we can add new option to allow you to control if ‘INSERT’ to be added in the history.

Please let us know.

Thanks and regards,
Bruce

Hi BacchusPS,

Regarding in 6.x, SQL Navigator stores a series of statements, each sql in each entry instead as a single entry in the history like v5.x. We made that changes to address some performance issue where the size of the series of statements is very large, and SQL Navigator v5.x takes very long to startup.

Thanks,
Bruce

The performance issues are part of why I would prefer to have those statements be a single entry. I had gotten in the habit of immediately flushing large bulk inserts as soon as executed.

It doesn’t happen often, but from time to time I need to sync data manually from our PROD to our QA environment, and that can be literally thousands of rows each across several tables when it happens. generating and executing the insert or update statements works well enough, but having to select and delete that many single entries from the history is a pain. And there is no reason to keep them.

To answer your earlier reply, no the filter doesn’t particularly help, since the few categories available are so broad. SQL, DML, PL/SQL and other.

Still, thanks for the info.

Hi BacchusPS,

Thank you for your notes. We will try to look in it for you with the enhancement request in your other post.

Thanks,
Bruce