Team Coding issues

Hi,

With the 12.7.1 GA release, some Team Coding issues were solved, but a couple of others have either emerged or remain.

We use Team Coding on our development database, but with no VCS.

The following issues are observed both in the 12.7.1 GA and the latest beta, 12.8.0.26.

1. It seems to be impossible to check out a package spec. Whether I use the Check out button in the editor or in the TC Manager, or I right-click on the package in TC Manager and choose Check out, it does not check out the spec, but instead checks out the body, provided it isn’t already checked out (if so, nothing happens). If I compile a spec, which is open in an editor tab, it prompts me to check it out, but still doesn’t do so. The only way I can compile a spec is with F5, in effect bypassing Team Coding.

I have the option checked to Load spec and body as pair, in separate tabs, in case it matters. Also, on the same options page, Never split files on opening and Never combine files on saving.

1. When compiling an object (e.g. a package body) in an editor tab, if it has not yet been checked out, I get the prompt to check it out. If Yes is replied, it used to go on and compile without further action necesary. Now it just checks it out, and I have to hit F9 agan to actually compile it.

2. If several objects are checked out and open in the editor, and I use the Check in all button, I get a window with a list of the checked out modules. This has checkboxes, all checked, for each object. I used to be able to uncheck some of those and only check in teh rest, but now (not sure when this started) it always checks them all in, even the one I have unchecked, so I have to check out again the ones I need to do further work on.

Best regards,

Niels

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback.

1. As of 12.7, if you check out a package body, the package spec always gets checked out with it, and vice versa. If I select a spec in the TC Manager, SB, or open in the Editor, I see both spec and body getting checked out. Although I did see a bug in the TC Manager where the icons were not updating correctly which I logged.

2. I don’t see this. I’m loading a controlled function in the Editor, changing text, and then compiling. I’m prompted to check out, I choose “yes”, then the function is compiled without me having to F9 again. I’m on 12.8.0.27 which was released while I was drafting this e-mail, so maybe that is the difference?

3. I see this too. Logging

-Brad

Sent: Friday, September 11, 2015 5:31 AM

To: toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Team Coding issues

Team Coding issues

Thread created by Niels Bache

Hi,

With the 12.7.1 GA release, some Team Coding issues were solved, but a couple of others have either emerged or remain.

We use Team Coding on our development database, but with no VCS.

The following issues are observed both in the 12.7.1 GA and the latest beta, 12.8.0.26.

1. It seems to be impossible to check out a package spec. Whether I use the Check out button in the editor or in the TC Manager, or I right-click on the package in TC Manager and choose Check out, it does not check out the spec, but instead checks out the body, provided it isn’t already checked out (if so, nothing happens). If I compile a spec, which is open in an editor tab, it prompts me to check it out, but still doesn’t do so. The only way I can compile a spec is with F5, in effect bypassing Team Coding.

I have the option checked to Load spec and body as pair, in separate tabs, in case it matters. Also, on the same options page, Never split files on opening and Never combine files on saving.

1. When compiling an object (e.g. a package body) in an editor tab, if it has not yet been checked out, I get the prompt to check it out. If Yes is replied, it used to go on and compile without further action necesary. Now it just checks it out, and I have to hit F9 agan to actually compile it.

2. If several objects are checked out and open in the editor, and I use the Check in all button, I get a window with a list of the checked out modules. This has checkboxes, all checked, for each object. I used to be able to uncheck some of those and only check in teh rest, but now (not sure when this started) it always checks them all in, even the one I have unchecked, so I have to check out again the ones I need to do further work on.

Best regards,

Niels

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

I have now checked again in beta 12.8.0.27.

1. I am not seeing the same as you. Yes, when I open a body in the editor, the spec is opened as well in a separate tab. That has been the case for ages, at least with the setting to do so. But when I then hit the Check Out button, it only checks out the body, even when I was on the tab with the spec. Do you need my settings file? (Reminder: I have Team Coding without a VCS. Checking out for me means checking out of Team Coding.)

2. This has changed a little in the latest beta (.27). Now, when I have a spec open and hit F9 to compile it, I get the prompt to check out, answer Yes, and it now proceeds directly to compiling. But when I check afterwards, only the body is checked out, not the spec. Looking at the last DDL timestamps, I can see that it did actually compile the spec (but without having checked it out first!). With a body, it now works as expected: I get the prompt, the body gets checked out and is compiled.

3. Thanks!

Best regards,

Niels

1. After you check out the package body, look in the output window at the bottom of Toad (View > output window if it’s not already open). What do you see? for me I see 2 messages, one for the package (spec), and one for the package body. In the TC Manager, it looks like only the package body is checked out because the icon does not change for the spec (bug). If I refresh the TC manager, the icon is updated correctly. I also see “checked out” in the Editor status at the bottom. I’ve tried this without VCS and I don’t see a difference in behavior. I don’t mean to go in circles here, I just want to be sure.

2. Just like in #1, please check the output window and refresh the TC Manager. You should find that both spec and body are checked out.

Sent: Monday, September 14, 2015 5:15 AM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Team Coding issues

RE: Team Coding issues

Reply by Niels Bache

I have now checked again in beta 12.8.0.27.

1. I am not seeing the same as you. Yes, when I open a body in the editor, the spec is opened as well in a separate tab. That has been the case for ages, at least with the setting to do so. But when I then hit the Check Out button, it only checks out the body, even when I was on the tab with the spec. Do you need my settings file? (Reminder: I have Team Coding without a VCS. Checking out for me means checking out of Team Coding.)

2. This has changed a little in the latest beta (.27). Now, when I have a spec open and hit F9 to compile it, I get the prompt to check out, answer Yes, and it now proceeds directly to compiling. But when I check afterwards, only the body is checked out, not the spec. Looking at the last DDL timestamps, I can see that it did actually compile the spec (but without having checked it out first!). With a body, it now works as expected: I get the prompt, the body gets checked out and is compiled.

3. Thanks!

Best regards,

Niels

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

1. This shed some light on the matter!

The output window reports the following (formatted by me):

09:08:57 Error: ORA-00001: entydig begrænsning (TOAD.TCX_OBJECTS_PK) er overtrådt ORA-06512: ved linje 1

09:08:57 Error: ORA-00001: entydig begrænsning (TOAD.TCX_OBJECTS_PK) er overtrådt ORA-06512: ved linje 1

09:08:57 Output: Unable to perform check-out on object: Package xxx.yyyyy

09:08:57 Output: Error performing check-out: on Package xxx.yyyyy

09:08:58 Info: Package Body xxx.yyyyy checked out from Team Coding

(I.e. a unique constraint violation on TCX_OBJECTS_PK.)

1. Accordingly, trying to check out the spec for compiling (hitting F9) produces this:

09:15:33 Info: Package Body xxx.yyyyy checked out from Team Coding

09:15:33 Error: ORA-00001: entydig begrænsning (TOAD.TCX_OBJECTS_PK) er overtrådt ORA-06512: ved linje 1

09:15:33 Output: Unable to perform check-out on object: Package xxx.yyyyy

09:15:33 Output: Error performing check-out: on Package xxx.yyyyy

09:15:33 Error: ORA-00001: entydig begrænsning (TOAD.TCX_OBJECTS_PK) er overtrådt ORA-06512: ved linje 1

09:15:33 Output: Unable to perform add to VCS on object: Package xxx.yyyyy

09:15:33 Output: Error performing add to VCS: on Package xxx.yyyyy

Note that it is also trying to add the module to a VCS which we don’t have (and VCS is set to None in the TC config).

Refreshing the TC Manager makes no difference in either case - as hinted by the error messages, the spec really isn’t checked out. And when I do a Check in all, only the body is listed.

BTW, my colleague who is still on Toad 12.7 GA (not .1) can check out both specs and bodies on the same database without problem.

Best regards,

Niels

Thanks. Your issues are a little deeper than I thought. We are going to need to collect some info from you so I think it’s best if we take this off-line. In order to be sure you get taken care of properly I’d suggest contacting Dell support: support.quest.com/…/

Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2015 3:28 AM

Reply by Niels Bache

1. This shed some light on the matter!

The output window reports the following (formatted by me):

09:08:57 Output: Unable to perform check-out on object: Package xxx.yyyyy

09:08:57 Output: Error performing check-out: on Package xxx.yyyyy

09:08:58 Info: Package Body xxx.yyyyy checked out from Team Coding

(I.e. a unique constraint violation on TCX_OBJECTS_PK.)

1. Accordingly, trying to check out the spec for compiling (hitting F9) produces this:

09:15:33 Info: Package Body xxx.yyyyy checked out from Team Coding

09:15:33 Output: Unable to perform check-out on object: Package xxx.yyyyy

09:15:33 Output: Error performing check-out: on Package xxx.yyyyy

09:15:33 Output: Unable to perform add to VCS on object: Package xxx.yyyyy

09:15:33 Output: Error performing add to VCS: on Package xxx.yyyyy

Note that it is also trying to add the module to a VCS which we don’t have (and VCS is set to None in the TC config).

Refreshing the TC Manager makes no difference in either case - as hinted by the error messages, the spec really isn’t checked out. And when I do a Check in all, only the body is listed.

BTW, my colleague who is still on Toad 12.7 GA (not .1) can check out both specs and bodies on the same database without problem.

Best regards,

Niels

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Okay, I’ll try that. Thanks so far.

Best regards,

Niels

Scenario-

We are using Toad 12.8.0.49 and have recently installed/configured Team Coding. We are testing the different scenarios before we could put it into actual use and one of the issues that has come up is with respect to “Locking” of packages. USER1 Checks out a package ETL_LIBRARY.pkg and makes some changes but doesn’t compile them and goes for lunch. USER 2 logins from another machine and is able to see the package is checkedout. USER2 double clicks the package ETL_LIBRARY.pkg which loads it into editor. USER2 makes some changes to the package and compiles it using F9. Package doesn’t compile and a message pops up that the Package is currently checkout by another user.USER2 retries with f5 and Package successfully compiles with no issues. USER2 cannot check in the package yet because it is checked out by USER1. USER1 comes back from Lunch and compiles the changes and checks in the package. USER2 has now lost all the changes.

For USER2 why does the Package compile with F5 ,whereas doesn’t compile with F9 ? Isn’t this a bug?

Hi Sominya,

Thanks for your feedback! This is a good test case. From what I can tell, there are three issues in the scenario that you provided below:

1. User 2 is able to compile a package via F5, even though it’s been checked out by User 1.

2. User 2 cannot check in the object to VCS after making his/her change.

3. User 1 doesn’t know that User 2 changed the package and overwrites it when (s)he presses F9 to compile it.

The first issue may be a bug. I’ll take a look at that. We noticed something similar with views, which under certain circumstances was able to be altered without being checked out first. I’ll be fixing that for the Toad 12.9 release, so I’ll take a look at this as well.

For the second issue, User 2 should be able to break the Team Coding lock in order to lock the object themselves, perform the necessary changes, and then check the object back in. User 1 should then receive a message that they need to check the object out before compiling it. Are you not seeing that behavior?

For the third issue, I’m just about to release a feature to Team Coding here shortly where Team Coding will detect if the database source has changed since it was last checked out; and if it has, provide the ability to merge the database source with the user’s current working source before compiling it back into the database. This is to help prevent this very kind of scenario. I hope to have it in the beta by this Thursday.

Please feel free to let me know if there’s anything more I can do to help, or if you have any other questions!

Thanks!

-John

From: sominya.bajpai@gmail.com [mailto:bounce-sominyabajpaigmailcom@toadworld.com]

Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 2:00 AM

Reply by sominya.bajpai@gmail.com

Scenario-

We are using Toad 12.8.0.49 and have recently installed/configured Team Coding. We are testing the different scenarios before we could put it into actual use and one of the issues that has come up is with respect to “Locking” of packages. USER1 Checks out a package ETL_LIBRARY.pkg and makes some changes but doesn’t compile them and goes for lunch. USER 2 logins from another machine and is able to see the package is checkedout. USER2 double clicks the package ETL_LIBRARY.pkg which loads it into editor. USER2 makes some changes to the package and compiles it using F9. Package doesn’t compile and a message pops up that the Package is currently checkout by another user.USER2 retries with f5 and Package successfully compiles with no issues. USER2 cannot check in the package yet because it is checked out by USER1. USER1 comes back from Lunch and compiles the changes and checks in the package. USER2 has now lost all the changes.

For USER2 why does the Package compile with F5 ,whereas doesn’t compile with F9 ? Isn’t this a bug?

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Thanks John, please look into the below issue and tell us if you can replicate it-

We are using teamcoding with 12.8.0.49 and have found the below issue-

1. When altering a table - ALTER TABLE test_6 rename column dw_sourcE_key to tw_sourcE_key;

2. When creating a comment on table/column using -

comment on column test_6.tw_sourcE_key is ‘Source column’;

1. When creating an index on a table using

create index test_6_idx on test_6 (tw_source_key);

When f9 or Ctrl+enter is used on these scripts, it ‘alters the table’/‘create the comment’/‘creates an index’ without asking for checkout.

(However asks for checkout when f5 is used).

A mandatory checkout should happen for f9/ctrl+enter as well

Is this a bug?

-Sominya

Hi Sominya,

There were a few scenarios in Toad 12.8 where this could happen – specifically with non-PL/SQL objects. These issues have been addressed in Toad 12.9. As a result, you should see Toad prompt you to check out these objects when using the Toad 12.9 beta.

-John

Thanks John

Don't we have Team Coding feature in toad for SQL Server ? I have seen we have Team Coding in toad for oracle with that i can connect to tfs.
Can't we connect to TFS using toad for SQL Server?

Hi ambeshjha01,

I would ask this question in the Toad for SQL Server forum. That is a separate product with a separate development team. This forum is for Toad for Oracle Beta.

You can find the Toad for SQL Server forum here:

-John

Hellp @jbowman ,

Thanks for the information. Actually we wanted to buy few license of toad so we were just trying to collect all the information before we buy that. We are using sql server here and wanted to know whether we can integrate sql server in toad for oracle or not. If not then will have to go with toad for sql server.

Hi ambeshjha01,

It looks like Toad for SQL Server has VCS support; however, I expect its VCS integration will be a bit different than Toad for Oracle's Team Coding feature. If your environment is strictly SQL Server and doesn't include any Oracle databases, I would download the Toad for SQL Server trial and test its VCS capabilities.

You can learn more about Toad for SQL Server here:

Its datasheet is here:

-John

@jbowman Thank you so much.