The URL cannot be empty. Parameter: URL

Has anyone encountered the below and/or suggest any fixes …

The following errors are encountered when attempting to generate report via
Automation …

**The URL cannot be empty. Parameter: URL

System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl…ctor(String url, XmlNameTable nt)

** at System.Xml.XmlTextReader…ctor(String url)**

** at System.Data.DataSet.ReadXml(String fileName)**

** at Quest.Toad.Workflow.UI.ToadFile.LoadDataSet(String file)**

** at Quest.Toad.Workflow.Activities.Database.ToadReportActivity.CheckReportConnection()**

** at Quest.Toad.Workflow.Activities.Database.ToadReportActivity.ReportGenerated()**

Can you post the Toad Data report that is causing this issue? What version of TDA are you running this in? And what version is the report made from?

Debbie

Version … Toad for Data Analysts 2.7 (Oracle database).

Please find attached Automation (tas) and Report (tdr) and log file. Note: The report uses Bind Variables … however, invoking within LOOP Dataset.
SAE Report v1.0 COVEULV0032_02MAY2011.log (41.1 KB)

Please find attached Automation (tas) and Report (tdr) and log file. Note: The report uses Bind Variables … however, invoking within LOOP Dataset.
SAE Report v1.0 COVEULV0032_02MAY2011.tas (31.3 KB)

SAE Report v1.0_COVEULV0032_02MAY2011.tdr (160 KB)

Report migrated from older version 2.5, I think

I think you may have asked the right question … I am using automation from older version, also. I modified the report … removing bind variables. I attempted to run in old automation script and in newly created script. Successful in new script and same error in old. I will try creating new automation for bind variables.

Okay. Let me know if all works out.

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

The URL cannot be empty was addressed by setting the Script Setting => Activity Properties => SQL Script => Embedded Input to FALSE.

After which, I encountered the following error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

This issue was address by either removing all bind variables from SQL in Report or just using one bind variable.

Do you know if there is a restriction on the number of bind variable that can be references from within Loop Dataset for Report ???

You are correct that the Embedded Input caused the “URL cannot be empty” error. I can reproduce and entered CR84,826 to address this issue.

I know of no limitiations from Oracle and bind variables. You are using an OCI client, correct? As opposed to Direct Connect or ODBC. ODBC did have a limitation but not the other two types.

Can you post the log file with the Null object error. There should be more data after that error line that might help me find a work around for you.

I would try building the automation script in TDA 2.7.

Debbie