Toad 12.7 Beta - Slow Performance

I have 32-bit Toad for Oracle Beta version 12.7.0.53 installed side-by-side an install of 32-bit Toad for Oracle 12.6.0.53 on the same computer.

In general, the performance of the Toad for Oracle 12.7 beta, is slower than Toad for Oracle 12.6.0.53. As I connect more database sessions, the performance of the Toad for Oracle 12.7 beta degrades much more quickly than Toad for Oracle 12.6.0.53.

When only one database session is connected, the Toad for 12.7 beta runs quickly. However I do a great deal of work comparing and synchronizing data schemas using Toad, and so commonly I open 8 - 12 database session simultaneously. With 8 - 12 active database sessions, Toad for Oracle 12.6.0.53 runs a bit slow, but is stable and usable. When I open 8 - 12 database sessions simultaneously with Toad for 12.7 beta, the program slows down considerably. With 8 - 12 active database sessions, the Toad for 12.7 beta freezes for several seconds during simple operations like opening a PLSQL procedure for editing. With 8 - 12 active database sessions, the Toad for 12.7 beta often hangs entirely and must be restarted. When doing this testing, I was connecting to Oracle development instances on my local subnet.

My Toad for Oracle 12.7 beta and Toad for Oracle 12.6.0.53 installs use the same settings.

When I run the Toad Advisor on either software, the following is displayed under performance suggestions:

Highlight tables names is on

Highlight view names is on

Highlight stored procedure names is on

Code Insight results are being cached

Public synonyms are included in Code Insight results

*** I am running Toad with the minimal live help enabled. If I start to enable live help items like Codes Analysis - Check Rules as You Type, Toad slows down extremely.

In the single database session situations, these slowdowns are barely noticeable, but that is not the way I use Toad.

My PC running Toad has a i5-3470 CPU (3.2 Ghz), 64-bit Windows 7 and 8GB of RAM.

Using the latest Toad for Oracle beta, version 12.7.0.76, I have rerun all of my earlier performance tests with 8 open database sessions. When I use Toad interactively using any of the opened sessions, the performance of the Toad beta is much faster than with the previous version 12.7.0.53 version. I have not encountered any lockups of Toad.

As a more aggressive test, I have enabled the "Check syntax as you type" option. I will run the Toad beta for while with this additional option enabled and see if the performance of the beta is impacted.

I have been using the Toad for Oracle beta, version 12.7.0.76 with all of the code assist options enabled:

• Cache Code Insight Results

• Space Accepts Selection

• Tab Accepts Selection

• Check syntax as you type

• Enable Parameter Assistance

• Use Inline Assistance

• Use named Notation

The response of the user interface of the Toad beta has been acceptably fast, even with 8 simultaneous database connections open.

Next, I’m going to enable all of the remainder of the Code Insight options and use Toad in my work with multiple database connections open. I’ll report back my experience with performance of the Toad user interface.

I have enabled all available Code Insight options and I have rerun all of my earlier performance tests with 8 open database sessions. When I use Toad interactively using any of the opened sessions, the performance of the Toad beta is much faster than with the previous version 12.7.0.53 version. I have not encountered any lockups of Toad.

That’s good to hear. Thanks for the update.