I think I have seen this in all the versions of Toad 14 I have run. I have never had the problem in a lower version. I was running 220.127.116.113 when this happened. I copied a working query from an open file, opened another editor tab, pasted the code in and ran it. It threw an error that the last identifier, in an order by clause, was invalid (ORA-00904). However the identifier was correct. The SQL was closed with a terminating semi-colon. I tried saving the SQL to a file and then reformatting it with no change. I finally got it to run by adding another character to the end of the identifier, making the identifier now incorrect. Here is the code.
select s.step_name, d.name, d.type_cd, d.sucess_rows, d.start_ts, d.end_ts, d.end_ts - d.start_ts dur_d, (d.end_ts - d.start_ts) * 86400 "DUR_D(S)" from obi_etl_dac.w_etl_run_step s join obi_etl_dac.w_etl_run_sdtl d on s.row_wid = d.run_step_wid where 1 = 1 and d.type_cd not in ('Truncate Table', 'Drop Index', 'PAUSE_FOR_GROUP_TASKS', 'Notify Dependents', 'Preceding Action', 'Stored Procedure') and run_wid = (select row_wid from obi_etl_dac.w_etl_defn_run where name = 'SRS Weekly - Full: ETL Run - 2021-06-13 00:00:00.05') and d.name like 'PC_Agg_PSFinCostsFact_A2%' order by d.start_ts, d.end_ts;
So if I changed the last indentifier to "d.end_tss" the SQL would run. That appended character could be any character, although adding another semi-colon did not work. If I added another query below this one the query would run. Just adding additional blank lines after the query did not work though.