Toad For Oracle 11 - when pressing last record button for a big query, TOAD shuts down

I have a big query that retrieves more than 3 million rows that I execute in the editor window. I then press the last record button, after a few seconds, TOAD shuts down. Anyone have any ideas why?

You’ve probably run out of memory. That’s a huge dataset. Toad tries to warn you when it’s about to run out of memory, but its early detection system is flawed with 32-bit Toad on 64-bit windows if you have more than 3-4 GB RAM. If you launch task manager and repeat your issue I suspect you’ll see Toad’s memory usage approach 3-3.5 GB before crashing. Can you confirm? If that is the case you’ll need to limit your result set to only the rows you’re interest in using the WHERE clause in your SQL or upgrade to a 64-bit version of Toad.

If previous answer is the cause, you have nice parameter for preventing that.

“Stop data fetches when available memory becomes less than n MB”.

Default is 50 MB, so enlarge that to 250 MB, restart toad and you will be warned when low memory becomes the problem.

Brg

Damir Vadas

In some cases this is problematic. Toad 32-bit on 64-bit OS with lots of RAM can still cause out of memory errors.

From: damir.vadas_531 [mailto:bounce-damirvadas_531@toadworld.com]

Sent: Monday, January 20, 2014 11:58 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Toad For Oracle 11 - when pressing last record button for a big query, TOAD shuts down

RE: Toad For Oracle 11 - when pressing last record button for a big query, TOAD shuts down

Reply by damir.vadas_531

If previous answer is the cause, you have nice parameter for preventing that.

“Stop data fetches when available memory becomes less than n MB”.

Default is 50 MB, so enlarge that to 250 MB, restart toad and you will be warned when low memory becomes the problem.

Brg

Damir Vadas

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

No virus found in this message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 2014.0.4259 / Virus Database: 3681/7015 - Release Date: 01/19/14

@Michael,

which memory resources do you exactly think.

Kernel resources, physical memory … something else … please let me know.

Thx

Damir Vadas

Toad compares its working set size against the total amount of RAM available globally. As you can imagine this does not work for 32-bit app on 64-bit OS with
plenty of RAM. The short version of what I was about to write is that I looked at this a year ago and wasn’t able to accurately calculate the RAM usage against 32-bit app max without having to bump the low mem threshold in Toad up to something much larger.
Comparing a sysinternals application to the API call that Toad is using, GetProcessMemoryInfo, seems to indicate that GetProcessMemoryInfo is not painting a completely accurate picture. There are other methods for calculating mem usage including counting total
small, medium, and large block allocations and multiplying each by its block size. This got us closer, but I was still able to reproduce out of memory errors easily. I haven’t revisited in a while since an easy workaround is to match the 32-bit Toad with 32-bit
OS and 64-bit Toad with 64-bit OS. When matched this should be a non-issue.

From: damir.vadas_531 [mailto:bounce-damirvadas_531@toadworld.com]

Sent: Monday, January 20, 2014 12:08 PM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Toad For Oracle 11 - when pressing last record button for a big query, TOAD shuts down

RE: Toad For Oracle 11 - when pressing last record button for a big query, TOAD shuts down

Reply by damir.vadas_531

@Michael,

which memory resources do you exactly think.

Kernel, Physical memory … aomething else … please let me know.

Thx

Damir Vadas

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

No virus found in this message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 2014.0.4259 / Virus Database: 3681/7015 - Release Date: 01/19/14

“When matched this should be a non-issue.”

I just tested on 64 bit (both on Win 7 and 2008R2, frankly 12.x not 11.x … but this option is old enough) and saw it works…then I wanted to reply until I saw your last sentence…
:slight_smile:

After all, this is nice to know, about 32/64 bit interoperability problems (which I haven’t used after Toad 64 is published).

Thx
Damir