TOAD 12.8 and memory leaks

I recently upgrade to 12.8 basic and then installed the 12.8 developer suite on top of it as a 30 day trial.

I seem to run out of memory on a regular basis after working in it for an extended period of time, say 6 hours. Not a lot of complex TOAD stuff. Only 1-2 DB connections, several editor tabs open in one of the connections. Lots of compiling and saving in one tab. Frequent repetitive queries in the other tabs.

None of my other apps have issues at the same time as TOAD are having issues. When I hit the memory wall TOAD becomes unresponsive and I must use Task Manager to kill it.

Running Windows 7 SP 1 on a Dell 2,5GHZ i5-4300U, 4.0 GB RAM, 32-bit OS.

There is a known leak in the Editor that we're working on. Once resolved I'll look again for additional leaks.

Thanks,

Michael

On 12/18/2015 10:27 AM, david.benson_890 wrote:

Thread created by david.benson_890
I recently upgrade to 12.8 basic and then installed the 12.8 developer suite on top of it as a 30 day trial.

I seem to run out of memory on a regular basis after working in it for an extended period of time, say 6 hours. Not a lot of complex TOAD stuff. Only 1-2 DB connections, several editor tabs open in one of the connections. Lots of compiling and saving in one tab. Frequent repetitive queries in the other tabs.

None of my other apps have issues at the same time as TOAD are having issues. When I hit the memory wall TOAD becomes unresponsive and I must use Task Manager to kill it.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

If it helps – This seems to be worse when I am in a large (4K+ line) pl/sql procedure and have collapsed subprocesses and types and IF-THEN constructs using the [-] box – which is a really cool feature btw – just wish it would do Cursors also.

From: Michael Staszewski [mailto:bounce-mstaszew@toadworld.com]

Sent: Friday, December 18, 2015 9:52 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] TOAD 12.8 and memory leaks

RE: TOAD 12.8 and memory leaks

Reply by Michael Staszewski

There is a known leak in the Editor that we're working on. Once resolved I'll look again for additional leaks.

Thanks,

Michael

On 12/18/2015 10:27 AM, david.benson_890 wrote:

Thread created by david.benson_890

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Thanks. I suspect you're hitting the same that is known. Every time the object is parsed and the navigator reconstructed a little is leaked. The size of the leak is dependent on the size of your source. A parse will happen on the initial load of the text and each time you edit it. There may also be other refreshes here and there, but actively editing will parse many times leaking a little each time.

Michael

On 12/18/2015 11:10 AM, david.benson_890 wrote:

Reply by david.benson_890
If it helps – This seems to be worse when I am in a large (4K+ line) pl/sql procedure and have collapsed subprocesses and types and IF-THEN constructs using the [-] box – which is a really cool feature btw – just wish it would do Cursors also.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Well if your code is anything like the code I have been reviewing lately – I have found that everyone likes to code for the Happy Path and overlooks the ‘troubled path’, the unexpected/unhandled conditions.

Good luck – I look forward to the fix. I just need to remember to save and compile often.

From: Michael Staszewski [mailto:bounce-mstaszew@toadworld.com]

Sent: Friday, December 18, 2015 10:25 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] TOAD 12.8 and memory leaks

Reply by Michael Staszewski

Thanks. I suspect you're hitting the same that is known. Every time the object is parsed and the navigator reconstructed a little is leaked. The size of the leak is dependent on the size of your source. A parse will happen on the initial load of the text and each time you edit it. There may also be other refreshes here and there, but actively editing will parse many times leaking a little each time.

Michael

On 12/18/2015 11:10 AM, david.benson_890 wrote:

Reply by david.benson_890

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hello,

Is there a duedate of this fix ? I am facing the same problem.

Toad 12.8.0.49

The issue is still open, but will be fixed for 12.9. The fix should be available in beta soon(ish).

Michael

On 01/21/2016 01:40 AM, bgurisik wrote:

Reply by bgurisik
Hello,

Is there a duedate of this fix ? I am facing the same problem.

Toad 12.8.0.49

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Would this same bug cause “out of memory” errors when exporting data?

No. To prevent that out of memory error, be sure to uncheck “Display all results in grid” in the Export Dataset dialog.

I’m waiting for a fix to this too.

It’s been a few months since 12.8 and I’ve had to restart toad almost every single day. Just like OP, I usually just do a lot of compiling long packages and running long scripts (several KLOC) in different editor tabs.

I’ve monitored the memory usage graph and it seems that even opening packages and exporting scripts of packages/objects leaks memory that isn’t released even when the script window/editor is closed. My memory wall seems to vary from 1.2GB to 1.5GB in case that helps.

The only good thing is that I can open a new Toad instance and that is unaffected by the unresponsive nature of the other instances.

I have the same issue and it is very disrupting. I don’t have too many things open and I get the out of memory error out of the blue when I try to run an explain plan.

Can you please provide a hot fix so we don’t have to wait for 12.9? It has been reported a month ago, I am pretty sure you should have a fix by now.

To my knowledge, it is not yet resolved.

On 02/04/2016 01:47 PM, costabas wrote:

Reply by costabas
I have the same issue and it is very disrupting. I don't have too many things open and I get the out of memory error out of the blue when I try to run an explain plan.

Can you please provide a hot fix so we don't have to wait for 12.9? It has been reported a month ago, I am pretty sure you should have fix by now.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

:frowning:

Does version 12.7 have this issue?

No.

On 02/04/2016 02:08 PM, costabas wrote:

Reply by costabas
:frowning:

Does version 12.7 have this issue?

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Thank you. I re-installed version 12.7.

Hi Michael,

I have customer with the same issue. I did not see any mentions of such a defect in the KnowledgeBase.

I can create a Knowledge Article if a defect ID has been established.

The workaround appears to revert to back to TFO 12.7 or to use 12.9 beta.

Can this be confirmed? Thanks.

www.toadworld.com/.../27044

Hi John:

I too suffer from the same ‘Out of Memory’ errors when exporting very large datasets into Excel, but I cannot un-check the recommended “Display all results in grid” box as it is grayed-out, and comes pre-selected.

This is using Automation Designer Export Dataset option.

I am using Toad v12.6.0.53 (as this is a Government PC I can’t always update outside the Corporate update cycle).

Any other recommendations - lately reboot my PC, then I open Task Manager and shut down ‘everything’ that is not vital and cross my fingers.

You just said “Excel” - but there are two “Excel” options. There was a problem with very large exports to the “Excel File” format, which was fixed in 12.9.

A couple of workarounds that might work for you:

Use the “Excel Instance” option. “Excel File” creates a file and has to do a large bit of the work in memory. “Excel Instance” communicates directly with the Excel app, and I think this was, Excel will manage the memory usage better.

or

If you are exporting to the XLS extension, try XLSX (or vice versa). The file formats are very different. Note that if you have more than 65K rows and using XLS, Toad will split your rows among multiple sheets in Excel.

or

Export to some delimited text format and use Excel to open that and then save as XLSX.

Hi John:

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I’ve just attempted some of your recommendations (even though a few of your suggestions were my settings already).

I tried recommendation number 1, (ie Use Excel Instance) and I received the following response from Toad:

'There was an error sending the data to Excel. This is a known issue. It seems to be related to the data being exported.
Suggested workaround: Use the “XLS File” option rather than the “XLS Instance” option.’

It basically fails when attempting to create a 2nd sheet after the initial 65K are filled in the first sheet.

Also, if it did work correctly, the ‘Use XLS Instance’ option would take away all of the labor-saving advantages I would be getting from using the Automation Designer as all data would now be exported into separate sheets on a master screen-based spreadsheet that would have to be sliced-and-diced and saved into the individual spreadsheets for the 7 export-data SQL scripts that I am required to carry out.

The Export to XLSX option gives the following error:

'Tag stack not empty: worksheet
sheetData
row
c’

The error options are then Jump, Clipboard and OK

This error is new and I have not seen it before.

I then I eventually get the old favourite back ‘Out of memory’.

It looks like I will have to bide my time and wait until this Government Department eventually upgrades through 12.6.0.53 to 12.9.

The “tag stack not empty” error is definitely fixed in 12.9. The vague “error sending data to excel” error actually comes from Excel (but the message is mine).

One more trick that you might want to try - export to comma delimited text (wrapping strings in double quotes if needed). Save with a .CSV extension. Excel automatically imports those files when you click on them. You shouldn’t get any out of memory errors exporting to delimited text.