Toad for SQL Server aborts

I'm using version 7.4. I can launch, log in and review tables, views and stored procedures. But when I run any sql query, or update Toad crashes with the following error:

NullReferenceException
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Stack Trace:
at Quest.Toad.SQLRecall.SQLRecallItemExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.b__0(FileStorageItem1 i) at System.Linq.Enumerable.FirstOrDefault[TSource](IEnumerable1 source, Func2 predicate) at Quest.Toad.SQLRecall.SQLRecallItemExtensions.AddItem(JsonFileStorage1 storage, SQLRecallItem item, String body)
at Quest.Toad.SQLRecall.ProducerConsumerQueue`1.Work()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

I would appreciate some direction as to how this might be corrected.

Assuming that you're doing nothing more than 1. launching Toad, 2. Connecting to a SQL Server, 3. typing/pasting a valid SQL (in the Editor?), then I'll take a guess here. But let us know if you're doing something in between these steps (like trying to run a previously executed query from SQL Recall). Otherwise...

Judging from the stack trace, I wonder if there's an issue with Windows folder permissions when Toad needs to access/write to the folder that keeps track of your execution history. SQL or scripts that are previously executed are stored as JSON files in the following location by default (unless you changed the install directory, etc.) ...

C:\Users<yourwinlogname>\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for SQL Server 7.4\SQLRecall

If this isn't pointing us to a resolution, I'd suggest opening a Support ticket so Quest can get to the bottom of this for you.

Yes, I was simply entering a query and the query would run but at the end of the work, it would cause this error.
Digging deeper, I begin to think there was some supporting file causing the problem. So, I completely uninstalled Toad, removed all the folder in the AppData/Roaming folder. After a re-install, things seem to be working again.

Glad the re-install got you up and running again!