unable to Import space character

Hi
I am trying to import string " as of today."
in a table column using Import Wizard.
I have noticed that it trims the leading space character.
So instead of importing string value to " as of today." it imports “as of today.”
Could you please suggest in how to retain string value even if contains leading or trailling space character.

Thanks
Pravin

What is your database type and export type? I tried your example on Oracle exporting to Excel and the space was not trimmed. Can you provide more detail?

Debbie

Regards
Pravin

Thanks for your quick response.    I am using Oracle 11g.     The table in which I am importing the data has following DDL.  

CREATE TABLE TEMP_NOTES(
NOTE_ID INTEGER NOT NULL,
NOTE_SEQ INTEGER NOT NULL,
NOTE_TEXT **CLOB **);

I am facing the issue with the Import and not with the export.

I am trying to import data from csv file into the above table.
CSV file has string data for column NOTE_TEXT.
you may refer the attached sample scripts to reproduce the issue.

Note: I also tried changing the data type for column NOTE_TEXT from CLOB to VARCHAR2 (2000). But it didn’t help me. After changing the data type to VARCHAR2 (2000) I noticed It doesn’t import the complete data.It will be great if you can look into this issue if possible also and share the fix.

Message was edited by: Toad100
ImportExample.zip (3.57 KB)

Mnnn…this has uncovered several issues on this end. I have entered CR81594 to investigate. Unfortunately I have no work around for you.

You must be using a direct connection as connectin with Oracle OCI client will not support inserting into Clob or varchar(2000). We were planning to replace the direct connect with an Oracle instant client. This would make your problem even worse. How often you insert large text like this?

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

I am using Oracle Client ( and not a Direct client/Instant Client). 
So far I didnt found any issue for inserting into CLOB using Oracle client
except the issue which I mentioned earlier.

Not sure with Oracle instant client but with direct client there are several issues like 
slow performance etc..

Now answer to your question. I have to insert large text on daily basis.

Thank You
Pravin

That seems odd becasue when I use the Oracle Client, Oracle throws an error saying that type is not supported. What version of the client are you using? (not db). I’ll add your notes to CR81594. But do get back to me on the client version.
Debbie

Hi Debbie,

I am using Oracle Client 9.2. Also attached the screenshot.

Regards
Pravin
Oracle_Client_Version.xls (203 KB)

Okay, I’ll see what I can do on this.

Thanks.

Debbie