unable to open knowledge xpert

My last Toad version was 11. For some reasons the “Knowledge Xpert” doesn’t work recently, it displays message “Unable to open/create comment database file. Error: Unable to open database file”.

I thought maybe it is due to my Toad version too low and disconnect to Xpert, so I upgraded the Toad this morning. But now when I open my Toad version 12.6.0.53, and click Xpert, I still can see error. How can I make the Xpert working back again? Thanks.

Greg Chen

I typed your message into Google and the first hit looks relevant...

Search for... "Unable to open/create comment database file"

On 04/13/2015 10:46 AM, gchen97449 wrote:

unable to open knowledge xpert

Thread created by gchen97449
My last Toad version was 11. For some reasons the “Knowledge Xpert” doesn’t work recently, it displays message “Unable to open/create comment database file. Error: Unable to open database file”.

I thought maybe it is due to my Toad version too low and disconnect to Xpert, so I upgraded the Toad this morning. But now when I open my Toad version 12.6.0.53, and click Xpert, I still can see error. How can I make the Xpert
working back again? Thanks.

Greg Chen

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Thanks, I already saw this link last week when I had problem in Toad v11.

Under C:\Users<user>\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software, I don’t see “Knowledge Xpert” folder. Also, when I was in v11, I can see 11.0 folder under …\Roaming\Quest Software. But now after I installed v12.6, I don’t see new folder 12.6. I search entire C: drive, I can’t find “Knowledge Xpert” and “12.6” folder.

Greg

From: Michael Staszewski [mailto:bounce-mstaszew@toadworld.com]
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2015 10:53 AM
To: toadoracle@toadworld.com
Subject: Re: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] unable to open knowledge xpert

Re: unable to open knowledge xpert[toadworld.com]

Reply by Michael Staszewski

unable to open knowledge xpert[toadworld.com]

I thought maybe it is due to my Toad version too low and disconnect to Xpert, so I upgraded the Toad this morning. But now when I open my Toad version 12.6.0.53, and click Xpert, I still can see error. How can I make the Xpert working back again? Thanks.

Greg Chen

Stop receiving emails[toadworld.com] on this subject.
Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General[toadworld.com] notifications altogether.

Flag[toadworld.com] this post as spam/abuse.

Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General[toadworld.com] notifications altogether.

12.6 would have been re-branded from Quest to Dell. Its folder will be ...\Roaming\Dell\Toad for Oracle\12.6. KXpert is very old and I'm not sure when it was last updated so I don't expect it to have a folder under the Dell appdata path, but who knows?

Also, when searching I don't know if hidden paths are included or not, but since it didn't locate 12.6's folder on your C:\ drive then appdata folder may be skipped. Manually look under your appdata\local and appdata\roaming folders within Quest Software and Dell subfolders for the Knowledge Xpert path.

If you still don't find it I would suggest going to Dell support for assistance or just use Google whatever you're looking for within Knowledge Xpert. Knowledge Xpert is very old and I don't believe it's been updated this decade. Information in Oracle docs and elsewhere will be more useful and up to date.

Michael

On 04/13/2015 11:14 AM, gchen97449 wrote:

RE: unable to open knowledge xpert

Reply by gchen97449

Under C:\Users<user>\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software, I don’t see “Knowledge Xpert” folder. Also, when I was in v11, I can see 11.0 folder under …\Roaming\Quest Software. But now after I installed v12.6, I don’t see new folder 12.6. I search entire C: drive, I can’t find “Knowledge Xpert” and “12.6” folder.

Greg

Subject: Re: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] unable to open knowledge xpert

Greg Chen

Stop receiving emails on this subject.
Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General notifications altogether.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Thanks, Michael, your suggestion is very usually!!!

First, I found …\AppData\Roaming\Dell\Toad for Oracle\12.6 folder, but I don’t see “Knowledge Xpert” folder in there. Then in Window Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options, I uncheck the box for “Hide protected operating system file”. After that, I can find my former “Knowledge Xpert” in somewhere. Then I copy it to …\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software folder, even there was another folder “Toad for Oracle” with underneath folder 11.0. But when I open Toad v12, now I can open Knowledge Xpert without problem.

Yes, by search Dell software, I can find Knowledge Xpert, it showed the latest version was 10.1. As you guess, Toad didn’t update it a while, maybe a lot people didn’t use. But I still like to use it because it is inside the Toad, so I can find something faster and easier.

Thanks again Michael, I real appreciated your speedy reply and helps.

Greg

Sent: Monday, April 13, 2015 11:23 AM

12.6 would have been re-branded from Quest to Dell. It's folder will be ...\Roaming\Dell\Toad for Oracle\12.6. KXpert is very old and I'm not sure when it was last updated so I don't expect it to have a folder under the Dell appdata path, but who knows?

Also, when searching I don't know for if hidden paths are included or not, but since it didn't locate 12.6's folder on your C:\ drive then appdata folder may be skipped. Manually look under your appdata\local and appdata\roaming folders within Quest Software and Dell subfolders for the Knowledge Xpert path.

If you still don't find it I would suggest going to Dell support for assistance or just use Google whatever you're looking for within Knowledge Xpert. Knowledge Xpert is very old and I don't believe it's been updated this decade. Information in Oracle docs and elsewhere will be more useful and up to date.

Michael

On 04/13/2015 11:14 AM, gchen97449 wrote:

RE: unable to open knowledge xpert[toadworld.com]

Reply by gchen97449

Greg

Greg Chen