VARCHAR2 values not DESC correctly in Toad

HI all,

I have table joe with following structure:

name VARCHAR2(15)
id NUMBER(9)

When I do a DESC joe in TOAD against an Oracle database, the following is returned:

name VARCHAR2(60)
id NUMBER(9)

When I am signed on to the same Oracle database as the same user and do a DESC joe with SQL Developer, the following is correctly returned:

name VARCHAR2(15)
id NUMBER(9)

I have reinstalled TOAD twice and have the tested the DESC commands across multiple databases and the returning results for VARCHAR2 datatypes with TOAD is consistently incorrect and consistently multiplied by factor of 4.

Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks,

Paul

I have tried to reproduce this and the VARCHAR2 sizes are correct here.

1. Can you show us some screenshots so we know exactly what we are looking at? DESC in Toad comes out of the data dictionary
  2. What version of Oracle server are you using? Any client version should be fine here.
  3. you can turn on spool sql (database -> spool sql -> spool to screen) to see what queries Toad executes in the background. That may shed some light on the situation.

Hi John,

We are running Oracle 122r2 on the server. I am using Toad 12.10 (reinstalled), but the original problem occurred in Toad 13.1. I thought trying a different version of Toad would rectify the problem. It did not.

Screen prints attached.

If you would please send the syntax to do a spool file in Toad, that would be great. I know how to do it with SQl Plus, but am new to Toad.

Thanks,

Paul

(Attachment screen prints for john.docx is missing)

Hi Paul,

If you typed in "DESC [tablename]" and pressed F5 in the editor and received this incorrect result, this issue was recently identified and was actually just fixed. It should be in the beta that will be released today. If you get a chance, make sure you have Toad 13.1 installed and download the Toad for Oracle beta from here this afternoon:

That should fix the issue you're seeing. Please feel free to let us know if this does not solve the issue you're seeing and we'll continue to look further.

Thanks!

-John

Hi John,

I will re-install Toad 13.1. How would I get the beta version, please?

Thank you very much for your kind help!

Paul

Hi Paul,

You can download the latest beta from here:

-John