Add Custom Attribute "Characteristics"

Please forgive me if I’m asking this question in the wrong forum. As a Data Warehouse Architect, I need to specify certain Attribute “Characteristics” (for lack of a better word), in my models. One such example is the SCD Type (Slowly Changing Dimension) for each column in a Dimension. This would be a number, basically blank, 1, or 2.

Does Toad Data Modeler support the ability to add custom “Characteristics” for Entity Attributes? If so, how do I do so?

Hi,

you can add your custom properties to model objects. In documentation there is section Guide | Customization | Customization Sample. There you can find instructions how to extend and customize Toad Data Modeler.

Another example of how to modify existing Entity form can be found at:
http://blogs.inside.quest.com/modeling/2012/01/27/fact-dimension-tables-toad-data-modeler/

If you wish to modify the form, it will be necessary to create custom Package, add new script to it, edit the Attribute Properties form and customize it. You will also need to edit metamodel for selected target database. Details are described in the documentation.

In case you need more information, please feel free to write me back. What is your target database, please?

Regards,

Vaclav