Autocomplete hangs

In the current beta, if I type in a package name and the period, Toad is hanging for a long time. I do get a blank popup window where the list of functions should be.

What is the package name? Does the package also have a synonym for it by the same name? If so, do you have synonyms and public synonyms checked in the Code Insight options?

On 08/15/2014 11:09 AM, jcummings wrote:

Autocomplete hangs

Thread created by jcummings
In the current beta, if I type in a package name and the period, Toad is hanging for a long time. I do get a blank popup window where the list of functions should be.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

It seems to happen for any package. I just tried with dbms_output and was able to get the same behavior. There is a public synonym for that, but not for other packages I’ve had this problem with. I have public synonyms checked, but not synonyms.

Does this query return a result for you?

Select object_name, object_type

FROM SYS.ALL_OBJECTS

WHERE object_type IN

('PACKAGE')

AND owner = :owner

AND object_name = :name

ORDER BY 1

How about this one?

Select text

FROM SYS.ALL_SOURCE

WHERE name = :name AND type = 'PACKAGE' AND owner = :owner

ORDER BY line

On 08/15/2014 11:23 AM, jcummings wrote:

RE: Autocomplete hangs

Reply by jcummings
It seems to happen for any package. I just tried with dbms_output and was able to get the same behavior. There is a public synonym for that, but not for other packages I've had this problem with. I have public synonyms checked, but not synonyms.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Both of those queries return the package and run quickly.

From: Michael Staszewski [mailto:bounce-mstaszew@toadworld.com]

Sent: Friday, August 15, 2014 11:49 AM

To: toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: EXTERNAL:Re: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Autocomplete hangs

Re: Autocomplete hangs

Reply by Michael Staszewski

Does this query return a result for you?

Select object_name, object_type

FROM SYS.ALL_OBJECTS

WHERE object_type IN

('PACKAGE')

AND owner = :owner

AND object_name = :name

ORDER BY 1

How about this one?

Select text

FROM SYS.ALL_SOURCE

WHERE name = :name AND type = 'PACKAGE' AND owner = :owner

ORDER BY line

On 08/15/2014 11:23 AM, jcummings wrote:

Reply by jcummings

It seems to happen for any package. I just tried with dbms_output and was able to get the same behavior. There is a public synonym for that, but not for other packages I've had this problem
with. I have public synonyms checked, but not synonyms.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Fixed objects are the x$ tables and their indexes. The v$performance views in Oracle are defined in top of X$ tables (for example V$SQL and V$SQL_PLAN). Since V$ views can appear in SQL statements like any other user table or view then it is important to gather optimizer statistics on these tables to help the optimizer generate good execution plans. However, unlike other database tables, dynamic sampling is not automatically use for SQL statement involving X$ tables when optimizer statistics are missing. The Optimizer uses predefined default values for the statistics if they are missing.

So have you run recently statistic on fixed views (dictionary)?

BEGIN

DBMS_STATS.GATHER_FIXED_OBJECTS_STATS;

END;

P.S.

You must have the ANALYZE ANY DICTIONARY or SYSDBA privilege or the DBA role to update fixed object statistics.

Is this the same problem as using Ctrl-T for forcing the auto complete popup and TOAD is not responding anymore? Or is Ctrl-T not the key for that.

CTRL+T is still the shortcut. Does it ever return with results? Do you see the error glass? Does pressing ESC return control to Toad? Spool SQL to screen and try again. Are queries being executed?

Michael

On 09/19/2014 08:12 AM, wimdelange_062 wrote:

Reply by wimdelange_062
Is this the same problem as using Ctrl-T for forcing the auto complete popup and TOAD is not responding anymore? Or is Ctrl-T not the key for that.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

jcummings, there was a performance problem causing similar behavior when editing within a large PL/SQL object. If your delay was while working within a large package for instance then this should be fixed in the next beta (12.7.0.52).

wim, I think you’re hitting the other performance issue that has been present since 12.5. Tomorrow’s beta should take care of that.