AV error at 0 when selecting an XML column

All,

I’m on Toad 12.11.0.37

When selecting * from a table containing an XML column I get an AV at address 0:
20170207 AV error when selecting XML column.png

As far as I can see the issue is caused by the XML column.

We’ve seen a comparable issue in the past.
I thought the issue had been resolved.
Am I mistaken?

Kind regards,
Abe Kornelis

If you go to SB-Tables-Data, XMLTYPE columns are automatically selected with .GetClobVal(), so you shouldn’t have any problems there.

If you are querying in the Editor, you’ll have to add that yourself. Be sure to include a table alias on the column specification or Oracle will throw an error. So you’ll want something like:

SELECT
C.RTXSDREFID, C.RTDEF.GetClobVal() as RTDEF
FROM MDSYS.CSW_RTXSDINFO$ C

An easy way to go from “Select *” to "Select " is to click the column selector widget in the top-left corner of the grid, then right-click and choose “copy checked columns to clipboard”

John,

apologies for the delay in responding. The use of the function to bypass the issue was known to me.
It just strikes me as odd that Toad should suffer an AV when this happens.

Lack of support for displaying XML columns is one thing that hardly bothers me,
but the AV without further explanation is awkward, to say the least.

Is there a specific reason the AV is allowed to sit there waiting to be activated
by the unwary user displaying an XML column?

Kind regards,
Abe

Hi Abe,

The AV is awkward and we’d love to be able to support XMLTYPE fully (or at least with a “nice” error message) but for now it’s out of our hands. The error happens somewhere between our 3rd party oracle access components and the OCI and the database. The 3rd party vendor is aware of the problem.

-John

Okay, I know the feeling.

Success with the vendor!

Abe