Connect to Cloud Snowflake

Can I connect Toad Data Point to a Cloud database like Snowflake?

If so how do I do it?

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Can't do it today in the current release, but Snowflake support is scheduled for later this year!

Ah, I should point out that, until we get native connectivity for SnowFlake in the release later this year, it's possible that you can use an ODBC driver to get at SnowFlake within TDP. Just remember that there could always be some "limitations" when using such drivers.

So there is a way to use an ODBC drive to connect to the cloud snowflake. Ok i will play with that for a while.

I have heard from others that connecting via ODBC can be (ahem) "flakey", so I'd be curious as to your experience in TDP, and if this is a viable alternative until we get SnowFlake supported later this year.

Any updates on when Snowflake will be supported?

Toad Data Point version 5.6 will have a native Snowflake connector available in the Toad Data Point Pro edition. We anticipate this version will be release in Nov.

1 Like

Is Snowflake already supported in Toad for Oracle? Or is there another product that'll be the Toad for Snowflake?

Toad for Oracle only supports Oracle. We have not set a timeline to produce a Toad for Snowflake, but you should be able to use Toad Data Point Pro to connect to Snowflake to explore objects, query data, compare data, etc. I would love to talk with you about other needs you have on Snowflake (like working with Pipes, etc). If you are open to a conversation you can email me at julie.hyman@quest.com

Thanks for the update Julie, I am not on Snowflake yet, so I don't know what Snowflake specific things I'd need. I mostly use rebuild table, f4 to describe objects, and querying using the freeform text tabs in Toad for Oracle. Everything's so good right now that the only thing that I'd change is update it to a more modern UI (since Snowflake isn't going to be added)... which is very low on the list.

1 Like

Hi Julie and Quest Team,
What's the best current estimated release date for TDP 5.6 to be available to non-Beta program participants? My company is eager to begin using the new Snowflake connector.
Thanks!
-Marco

Hi,

I'm very interested in new snowflake connector too. I'm already using Snowflake with odbc connector in tdp 5.5, but, i have to use snowflake web interface to navigate into json fields, before create statements. I hope tdp 5.6 will make my life easier.

This will be out next Monday - December 6th!

1 Like