Connection Tweaking

In Toad for Oracle, I can tweak the connection setting to improve performance (i.e. DBMS Output Buffer Size and OCI Array Buffer Size). I find doing this can greatly increase the speed at which I can pull data. Is this possible with Toad for DA?

On another note, I find different queries in the same schema perform better with different settings depending on what tables I’m pulling from. I also find different settings sometime work better if I’m connecting over VPN. It would be nice if I could store different settings for each query and maybe even set up profiles depending on where I’m working from.

Thanks!

What areas if the application are you interesting in increasing performance.

Debbie

The Oracle connection speed. Toad for Oracle seems to be much faster.

If you are using the default configuration for Toad for Data Analysis it will always load the Object palette after connecting. Try using a different confiruation (toolbar)

Debbie

I’m more interested in decreasing the amount of time it takes to run a query.

From earlier versions of Toad .Net products I found the attached suggestions that affect performance.

Editor: Uncheck Statement Completion.

Editor|Tools: Turn off Navigation.

Database: Disable all caching. Also choose to clear all existing cache.

WebBrowser: No not display web page.

Browser: Select to fetch data in background

If you are using the editor the first two would be the most helpful.

From earlier versions of Toad .Net products I found the attached suggestions that affect performance.

Editor: Uncheck Statement Completion.

Editor|Tools: Turn off Navigation.

Database: Disable all caching. Also choose to clear all existing cache.

WebBrowser: No not display web page.

Browser: Select to fetch data in background

If you are using the editor the first two would be the most helpful.

I took a closer look at your request today. We do have a “Fetch Size” parameter that we can expose in our Oracle Command object. This uses the OCI Array Buffer Size.

I also see a buffer size parameter to the DBMS_OUTPUT. Both of these can be added as options in version 2.0. I have created CR0228361 for this.

I’ll have to think about saving these in a file or as profiles. I see the usefullness of this. Does Toad for Oracle save these settings or have profiles?

Debbie

Thank you.

As far as I know, Toad for Oracle does not allow me to save these settings in profiles and I usually compromise between settings that work best when directly connected to the network and the settings that work best when connecting through VPN. I also need to adjust the settings for certain queries to make the performance tollerable. At least with our databases, one size does not fit all.

Perhaps you could develop a function to automatically find the fastest settings as well? Just another function on my wish list…(most people don’t understand or care that it can take a while to pull mass quantities of data and manipulate it, so anything to make TDA as efficient as possible would be greatly reduce stress in my life, and I’m sure it would reduce the amount of stress in the data requester’s life as well).

Thanks again…

You might want to join our Beta program. We are almost ready to release version 1.1. Currently we are working on defining what will go in the 2.0 release. Any and all of your input would be of great value. The Beta is located here -->
http://toadworld.com/Downloads/ToadforDataAnalysis/tabid/186/Default.aspx
We have done a lot of performance enhancements underneath the hood.
Participating in the Betas will also help you see how we utilize your ideas!