Data comparison at regular intervals

Hi

Can i automate data comparison of two different databases at regular intervals (say every 5 min) using this tool?

Thanks in advance

In the Automation designer you can compare to databases using the data Compare activity. The output is a pdf type report.

If you are trying to detect when there is a change then you can put this activity in a While loop with a pause in between each repetition.

Thanks for your inputs!

I have a basic knowledge in C, C++, Java so what programming language does toad support?

Also in my project i want to compare the source and target db and that too at a regular interval (where data should be same in both dbs), can you briefly explain on how to go about testing this scenario?

To sheenum:

Toad Data Point 3.5 contains an Automation Designer to expedite your needs. You can easily create a Toad Automation Script (.tas) and schedule when it will run.

To Create The .tas File

1. Install TDP (Toad Data Point ) 3.5.0.2926 and Launch It
  2. Go to File -> New -> Create New Connection. It will open up a window to create a connection to your database. Supply the credentials and click “Save” or “Connect”
    In the future, you can manage the connections you made by going to View -> Navigation Manager.
  3. Go to Tools -> Automation. This will open up the Toad Automation Designer.
  4. Under “Database Activities” in the Toolbox pane on the left-hand side, select “Compare Data.” It will place the Compare_Data Activity into the script and the “Activity Input” tab will change.
  5. Select the “New Data Compare” button to open the “New Comparison Wizard.” This will ultimately create a Data Compare Project (.dcp) file with instructions on what to compare.
  6. When it’s complete, it will ask you for the location to save the .pdf results.
  7. Push “Save” to save a copy of your completed .tas file.

To Schedule the .tas file thru Windows Scheduler

1. Push the Schedule Button. If you have not already saved your .tas script, it will ask you to save it now.
  2. The Windows Scheduled job will automatically appear and populate the elements to point to the .tas file. Select the Schedule tab to continue.
  3. Click the “Advanced” Button.
  4. Put in any additional details, particularly the amount of times you wish to have the task repeat.

If you wanted to call on Toad thru a different script or external program, you can call it with parameter –batch=true and the path of the .tas file.

Eg: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Toad Data Point 3.5\toad.exe" -batch=true "C:\Desktop\Script_1.tas"

Let me know if this addresses your concerns.

Software Associate Developer I,
-Joshua Liong

Hi Joshua Liong

I sincerely thank you for such a detailed answer.

Joshua, when I run automation script, the PDF only shows me overall record count for comparison. Is there a way where I can email or at least download the result set as well? Comparison tool allow you to convert in excel format, I would like for this to be automated as well.

Thank you in advance for any advise you can provide.

To Mr. Ken Hartman:

Thank you for posting in Toad World!

My teammate responded to a post you made earlier which appear to address the same concern: http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-data-point/f/36/t/5967.aspx

Feel free to post again if I misunderstood this particular request.

Software Developer I,
-Joshua Liong