Default Workspace

When I startup Toad, can the “Default Workspace” automatically open?

I was looking into this and wondering why it seems like such an obvious omission, and starting to code it, then I realized why it probably wasn’t done (and
maybe why it hasn’t been requested before, I don’t know)…

There are so many Toad startup options - automatic connections, automatic window openings and so on. A Workspace sort of conflicts with all those options.
Once all the startup tasks complete, connections are auto-connected, windows are auto-opened and so on, the loading of the previously active Workspace would then close all those things down and load the Workspace environment (prompting first). So it gets pretty
confusing. The Toad startup environment options are essentially their own kind of workspace. I suppose the code could detect if there were no auto connections and no windows set to auto-open, then it could load the previously active Workspace, otherwise do
not. But that introduces some inconsistency.

I think those are the reasons I never did it (or as far as I know, undid it, because it seems pretty obvious on the face of it that it should be that way).
Heck, maybe there were requests to undo that, I don’t remember.

From: brian_1438 [mailto:bounce-brian_1438@toadworld.com]

Sent: Saturday, October 05, 2013 9:13 PM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Default Workspace

Default Workspace

Thread created by brian_1438

When I startup Toad, can the “Default Workspace” automatically open?

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

That does make sense. After posting, I was thinking the same thing. The startup configurations would conflict with the default desktop.

I can describe the real problem. Possibly a solution already exists:

I use the auto-connect to open 2 schemas and automatically open the schema browser. Sometimes schema A opens first and sometime schema B opens first. It would be nice if they always opened in the same order if possible.

In this particular db, schema A holds the tables and schema B holds the packages. So it would be nice if somehow the schema browser for schema B could remember to open to the Package tab or the last tab opened.

Opening the connections consistently in the same order would be helpful as I like programs to be predictable.

Not sure this helps your specific issue, but in case you weren’t aware, you can save your Schema Browser configurations, so they open to what you want by
default.

1. Open SB - R-click on the objects field and select Configure - this will open the ‘Configure Browser Tabs’ window

2. Set the Default Object Type to ‘Packages’ (or whatever you want the default to be)

3. Save with a name.

You can save multiple configurations like this.

Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 10:48 AM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Default Workspace

RE: Default Workspace

Reply by brian_1438

That does make sense. After posting, I was thinking the same thing. The startup configurations would conflict with the default desktop.

I can describe the real problem. Possibly a solution already exists:

I use the auto-connect to open 2 schemas and automatically open the schema browser. Sometimes schema A opens first and sometime schema B opens first. It would be nice if they always opened
in the same order if possible.

In this particular db, schema A holds the tables and schema B holds the packages. So it would be nice if somehow the schema browser for schema B could remember to open to the Package tab or
the last tab opened.

Opening the connections consistently in the same order would be helpful as I like programs to be predictable.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hi Dennis,

When I right click and go into “Configure”, I can see where the tabs can be renamed and moved (which I’ve done). I do not see how to set the “Default Object Type”

tabs.png.

configure.png

Hey Brian - sorry - I forgot to mention that I was in ‘Dropdown’ style. It looks like you’re in Tabbed style. You can change the style by clicking on the
Browser Style button on the R-hand side, if you want to use the default functionality.

Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 11:21 AM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Default Workspace

RE: Default Workspace

Reply by brian_1438

Hi Dennis,

When I right click and go into “Configure”, I can see where the tabs can be renamed and moved (which I’ve done). I do not see how to set the “Default Object Type”

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.