Describe failure

In Toad 12.5.0.10 (and earlier 12.5’s) I’ve noticed sometimes that when I control-D describe an object (letting Toad figure out the object type and leaving the object owner as “-- N/A or Unknown --”), it sometimes opens the Describe window, but puts . in the tab name and then gives me a dialog box saying “Table . does not exist”. And this is true – the table exists in a different schema. Note that this is different from when I type garbage in the control-D popup
window; if I do that, it immediately tells me “Object ASDFASDF not found” and doesn’t open the Describe window at all.

I tried spooling SQL while I did the control-D describe, but it didn’t seem to tell me much – it consisted only of three queries to USER_OBJECTS and USER_ALL_TABLES. (And yes, I have “check for DBA views” checked, and I have access to them.) It’s like
it was referring to some cached information, erroneously.

Any idea what’s causing this? Below is the spooled SQL. NESCHR is my schema, SALES_ORG_DIM is what I was trying to describe. According to DBA_OBJECTS there are six objects by that name: three private synonyms, a table, a package, and a package body, with
five different owners none of which are NESCHR.

Session: NESCHR@USMGENP.MONSANTO.COM

Timestamp: 14:32:24.893

Select 1

from sys.user_objects

where object_name =:nm

and object_type =:t

:nm(VARCHAR[13],IN/OUT)=‘SALES_ORG_DIM’

:t(VARCHAR[17],IN/OUT)=‘MATERIALIZED VIEW’

Timestamp: 14:32:27.332

Select last_ddl_time

from sys.user_objects

where object_name = :nam

and object_type = :typ

:nam(VARCHAR[13],IN/OUT)=‘SALES_ORG_DIM’

:typ(VARCHAR[17],IN/OUT)=‘MATERIALIZED VIEW’

Timestamp: 14:32:27.338

Select t.table_name,user as owner, t.cluster_name,

t.partitioned, t.iot_type, t.tablespace_name, t.last_analyzed,

round(t.num_rows) num_rows

, t.temporary, t.table_type, t.table_type_owner, t.nested

, decode(nvl(tablespace_name, 'x') || upper(partitioned)

|| nvl(iot_type, ‘x’) || to_char(pct_free), ‘xNOx0’,
‘YES’, ‘NO’) is_External

, t.dropped

, t.initial_extent

from sys.user_all_tables t

where t.table_name = :obj

:obj(VARCHAR[13],IN/OUT)=‘SALES_ORG_DIM’

Nate Schroeder

US Row Crops IT Data Management Team

Monsanto Company

800 N. Lindbergh Blvd. G3WB - Saint Louis, MO - 63167

314-694-2592

This e-mail message may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and is intended to be received only by persons entitled

to receive such information. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately. Please delete it and

all attachments from any servers, hard drives or any other media. Other use of this e-mail by you is strictly prohibited.

All e-mails and attachments sent and received are subject to monitoring, reading and archival by Monsanto, including its

subsidiaries. The recipient of this e-mail is solely responsible for checking for the presence of “Viruses” or other “Malware”.

Monsanto, along with its subsidiaries, accepts no liability for any damage caused by any such code transmitted by or accompanying

this e-mail or any attachment.

The information contained in this email may be subject to the export control laws and regulations of the United States, potentially

including but not limited to the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and sanctions regulations issued by the U.S. Department of

Treasury, Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC). As a recipient of this information you are obligated to comply with all

applicable U.S. export laws and regulations.

Yes, it could be cached (with possibly some wrong schema information). Has the object been loaded in the schema browser or editor auto-complete dropdown? If you just make the connection and then doing the describe right away, does it work?

Thanks, John, for the reply! Yes, it works correctly on a brand-new connection.

Nate Schroeder

Monsanto Company

314-694-2592

Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 3:17 PM

To: toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Describe failure

RE: Describe failure

Reply by John Dorlon

Yes, it could be cached (with possibly some wrong schema information). Has the object been loaded in the schema browser or editor auto-complete dropdown? If you just make the connection
and then doing the describe right away, does it work?

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

This e-mail message may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and is intended to be received only by persons entitled

to receive such information. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately. Please delete it and

all attachments from any servers, hard drives or any other media. Other use of this e-mail by you is strictly prohibited.

All e-mails and attachments sent and received are subject to monitoring, reading and archival by Monsanto, including its

subsidiaries. The recipient of this e-mail is solely responsible for checking for the presence of “Viruses” or other “Malware”.

Monsanto, along with its subsidiaries, accepts no liability for any damage caused by any such code transmitted by or accompanying

The information contained in this email may be subject to the export control laws and regulations of the United States, potentially

including but not limited to the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and sanctions regulations issued by the U.S. Department of

Treasury, Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC). As a recipient of this information you are obligated to comply with all

Ok, good. I tried a few ways to reproduce the problem here but I wasn’t able to - if you can figure out some steps to reproduce it, this shouldn’t be difficult to fix. I could completely disable the checking of the cache, but I’d like to leave that in place if possible.

I’ll try to “catch it in the act” or do some experimenting.

Meanwhile – caches can go invalid for any number of reasons (e.g. someone dropped the table from a different PC). Maybe, if the Describe window discovers that
it’s been asked to describe something that doesn’t exist, it could purge that item out of the relevant cache (if present) so a subsequent Describe of the same thing will do a full database search?

Nate Schroeder

Monsanto Company

314-694-2592

Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 3:35 PM

Reply by John Dorlon

Ok, good. I tried a few ways to reproduce the problem here but I wasn’t able to - if you can figure out some steps to reproduce it, this shouldn’t be difficult to fix. I could completely
disable the checking of the cache, but I’d like to leave that in place if possible.

I just got an access violation (I think) in Toad that I closed before really looking at it (Bad beta tester, Nate! You’re supposed to record those!), and then
on a hunch tried the describe and got the failure. Don’t know if the access violation caused it, but it might have. And then of course I tried the same actions I was doing right before the access violation to make it fail again, and it didn’t fail. So – not
much help here, but a possible lead.

Nate Schroeder

Monsanto Company

314-694-2592

Reply by John Dorlon

Ok, good. I tried a few ways to reproduce the problem here but I wasn’t able to - if you can figure out some steps to reproduce it, this shouldn’t be difficult to fix. I could completely
disable the checking of the cache, but I’d like to leave that in place if possible.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Send me your Toad.elf, maybe it’s in there…

Is this what you did?

Make sure “highlight table names is on”

Open SB to SCHEMA2

In editor, type in SCHEMA1.TABLE1 (where table1 is really in SCHEMA2 and not in SCHEMA1)

F4 on SCHEMA1.TABLE1 (gives the original problem you described below – describe window comes up and then “SCHEMA1.TABLE1 does not exist”)

From: nathan.e.schroeder [mailto:bounce-nathaneschroeder@toadworld.com]

Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 1:33 PM

Reply by nathan.e.schroeder

I just got an access violation (I think) in Toad that I closed before really looking at it (Bad beta tester, Nate! You’re supposed to record those!), and then
on a hunch tried the describe and got the failure. Don’t know if the access violation caused it, but it might have. And then of course I tried the same actions I was doing right before the access violation to make it fail again, and it didn’t fail. So – not
much help here, but a possible lead.

Nate Schroeder

Monsanto Company

314-694-2592

Reply by John Dorlon

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

That’s not quite what I did, but I followed the recipe card right next to that one. I can reproduce it by:

Open SB to SCHEMA2

Hit Control-D to bring up Quick Describe window

Type TABLE1 (where TABLE1 exists in SCHEMA2 but not SCHEMA1) and hit Enter: describe window comes up and then “SCHEMA1.TABLE1 does not exist”)

The SB appears to be the key!

Nate Schroeder

Monsanto Company

314-694-2592

Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 4:17 PM

Is this what you did?

Open SB to SCHEMA2

In editor, type in SCHEMA1.TABLE1 (where table1 is really in SCHEMA2 and not in SCHEMA1)

F4 on SCHEMA1.TABLE1 (gives the original problem you described below – describe window comes up and then “SCHEMA1.TABLE1 does not exist”)

OK, give it a try next beta and I think this thing will be fixed.

Yep! Excellent work. Thanks.

Nate Schroeder

Monsanto Company

314-694-2592

Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2014 12:13 PM

Reply by John Dorlon

OK, give it a try next beta and I think this thing will be fixed.