Editor Auto-Join behavior

In TDA is there a way to turn off the auto-join behavior in the Editor (not the visual query builder)?

If I’m joining on other criteria in addition to fields in a relationship TOAD keeps adding the relationship, and also won’t show me any other fields in the table. It’s just time-consuming.

Thanks,

Jeff

Strike that, it’s more than annoying. Every time I type an ‘AND’ or hit a period after a table it inserts its own join statement (sometimes overwriting what I’m typing.)

I have to basically craft the join statement elsewhere and then paste it back in here.

Help! There’s gotta be a way to turn this off.

You can turn off code-completion. To do this go to options|Editor|Code Completion. Uncheck ‘Auto list memebers’.

Debbie

Debbie,

As always thanks for your help. I’m returning to this topic as I think there’s room for improvement here. The behavior of the auto-complete:

In previous versions of TOAD the JOIN behavior would suggest the join and also provide the ability to select the field list. The JOIN was listed as the first item, and the second item “” would direct you to the field list.

Ideally auto-complete for JOINs would offer:
1.) Suggested join condition based on relationships to other tables already in the query
2.) Ability to select from a field list to enter your own condition.

As it is I can turn off auto-complete and type but then I lose the ability to look up field names. When you’re dealing with a lot of different projects that feature really helps.

Here’s hoping!
Jeff

Debbie,

As always thanks for your help. I’m returning to this topic as I think there’s room for improvement here. The behavior of the auto-complete:

In previous versions of TOAD the JOIN behavior would suggest the join and also provide the ability to select the field list. The JOIN was listed as the first item, and the second item “” would direct you to the field list.

Ideally auto-complete for JOINs would offer:
1.) Suggested join condition based on relationships to other tables already in the query
2.) Ability to select from a field list to enter your own condition.

As it is I can turn off auto-complete and type but then I lose the ability to look up field names. When you’re dealing with a lot of different projects that feature really helps.

Here’s hoping!
Jeff

Code completion is one of the things that has been enhanced for 3.0. Can you download the beta and check it out? I have attached a screen shot of the code completion changes in the situation that you describe. Now you get a join phrase of natural joins, IN clauses with distinct values, etc.

let me know if it covers what you need.

Debbie