Editor IDE features

Has TOAD editor evolved to the point of offering IDE features ? I was trying to find a simple feature that most IDE’s like IntelliJ offer but cannot see anything in the Help docs.
Maybe it all ready exists and I can’t see it.

For instance, when editing a package and I see a call to package.procedure it would be useful to be able to right-click and jump straight to the declaration of that procedure instead of having to find it manually. Granted it is easier said than done.

You simply don’t know Toad. Right click in editor, choose desktop and navigator - now you have a nice quick movement method.

Really ?

That isn’t what I meant at all. That only lists procs in the current package.

I want to be able to jump directly to the declaration in ANY package. So if I am editing package ABC and I see a call to a proc in package XYZ I should be able to get to it in a few clicks without knowing whether it is a function, proc or package or even in another schema.

Try a full IDE like IntelliJ and you will see what I mean.

PS I’ve been using TOAD since the mid-90s but not everyone uses all the features all the time.

Try clicking on the item you want to jump to.

Sent: Friday, July 25, 2014 9:51 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Editor IDE features

RE: Editor IDE features

Reply by pslegg

Really ?

That isn’t what I meant at all. That only lists procs in the current package.

I want to be able to jump directly to the declaration in ANY package. So if I am editing package ABC and I see a call to a proc in package XYZ I should be able to get to it in a few clicks without
knowing whether it is a function, proc or package or even in another schema.

Try a full IDE like IntelliJ and you will see what I mean.

PS I’ve been using TOAD since the mid-90s but not everyone uses all the features all the time.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Excellent, thanks Gregory.

It works better from the editor window than it does from the schema browser where it would be better if it didn’t open another window and just navigated instead.

After spending a few years doing a some bits of Java, coming back to the Oracle tools is frustrating at times. TOAD is better than Forms though !