Editor in .54 - status bar changes to black when you start typing

Hi,

When I launch the editor in 12.7.0.54 (32bit), it displays the status bar just fine. However, when I type a letter, it all goes black:

Interestingly, if I resize Toad (eg. switch from Maximized to not maximized, or manually change the size when it's not maximized) or I highlight some text and hit delete, the status bar is shown correctly again. Type something and it disappears again.

I’ve also had 3 crashes of Toad since upgrading to .54 this morning (2 had no errors, Toad just threw up a black box with Error on the top, and was unresponsive, the 3rd had “Error creating window device context”) whilst working in the editor (one connection open, one schema browser and one editor window with one tab). I haven’t been able to replicate, sadly, but I wonder if the increased frequency of crashing is due to issues with drawing the status bar?

They are related I'm almost certain. There's an outstanding problem with graphics resources at the moment. Approximately how long have you had that instance of Toad up and running?

On 03/20/2015 09:08 AM, Boneist wrote:

RE: Editor in .54 - status bar changes to black when you start typing

Reply by Boneist
I've also had 3 crashes of Toad (2 had no errors, Toad just threw up a black box with Error on the top, and was unresponsive, the 3rd had "Error creating window device context") whilst working in the editor (one connection open, one schema browser and one
editor window with one tab). I haven't been able to replicate, sadly, but I wonder if the increased frequency of crashing is due to issues with drawing the status bar?

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

the first error? I’m not sure; maybe an hour or two - it wasn’t that long since I’d restarted Toad due to updating to the latest Beta. The 2nd one was maybe 30 mins, the 3rd was mabye 10mins.

Ok, thanks. Are you on 64-bit?

On 03/20/2015 10:08 AM, Boneist wrote:

Reply by Boneist
the first error? I'm not sure; maybe an hour or two - it wasn't that long since I'd restarted Toad due to updating to the latest Beta. The 2nd one was maybe 30 mins, the 3rd was mabye 10mins.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

No, 32bit. (I forgot to add it into my original post, but have since gone back and edited it. I guess edits don’t make it through to the mail list, however)

I guess edits don't make it through to the mail list

Edits? Sometime mail doesn't even make it through to the mail list!! :slight_smile:

On 03/20/2015 10:38 AM, Boneist wrote:

Reply by Boneist
No, 32bit. (I forgot to add it into my original post, but have since gone back and edited it. I guess edits don't make it through to the mail list, however)

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

LOL!

I’ve managed to recreate it (although it takes a while!):

1. Launch Toad

2. log into a database

3. open an editor window (mine defaults to open a schema browser on connection)

4. paste in the following:

with sd as (select ’

fred1

fred2

’ col1 from dual)

select *

from sd,

xmltable(’/root/a/b’

passing xmltype.createxml(sd.col1)

columns col2 varchar2(5) path ‘.’);

1. put the cursor at the bottom

2. hold shift down, and keep holding it.

3. now press the up arrow until all the text is highlighted

4. now press the down arrow until all the text is not highlighted

5. repeat steps 7 and 8 until Toad complains (took me around about 16 repititions of both steps before Toad stopped responding.

The latest actual error message I got was “The handle is invalid”, but I don’t always get an error message. I do usually get a box that’s normally black, but is - I think - meant to be the box where you can get Toad to mail an error report:

toad_error_black_box.jpeg

Correction; around about 33 repetitions of steps 7 and 8; it’s ~16 if you paste two copies of the sample text in and highlight/unhighlight both.

Awesome, thanks. I'll try this after lunch.

On 03/20/2015 12:29 PM, Boneist wrote:

Reply by Boneist
I've managed to recreate it (although it takes a while!):

1. Launch Toad
  1. log into a database
  1. open an editor window (mine defaults to open a schema browser on connection)
  1. paste in the following:

with sd as (select '

fred1

fred2

' col1 from dual)

select *

from sd,

xmltable('/root/a/b'

columns col2 varchar2(5) path '.');

1. hold shift down, and keep holding it.
  1. now press the up arrow until all the text is highlighted
  1. now press the down arrow until all the text is not highlighted
  1. repeat steps 7 and 8 until Toad complains (took me around about 16 repititions of both steps before Toad stopped responding.

The latest actual error message I got was "The handle is invalid", but I don't always get an error message. I do usually get a box that's normally black, but is - I think - meant to be the box where you can get Toad to mail an error report:

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

I haven't gotten the error yet, but the problem is apparent. As I do your steps and watch the number of GDI objects the number steadily climbs, and climbs, and climbs. That is no good. I owe you a few beers.

On 03/20/2015 12:29 PM, Boneist wrote:

Reply by Boneist
I've managed to recreate it (although it takes a while!):

1. Launch Toad
  1. log into a database
  1. open an editor window (mine defaults to open a schema browser on connection)
  1. paste in the following:

with sd as (select '

fred1

fred2

' col1 from dual)

select *

from sd,

xmltable('/root/a/b'

columns col2 varchar2(5) path '.');

1. hold shift down, and keep holding it.
  1. now press the up arrow until all the text is highlighted
  1. now press the down arrow until all the text is not highlighted
  1. repeat steps 7 and 8 until Toad complains (took me around about 16 repititions of both steps before Toad stopped responding.

The latest actual error message I got was "The handle is invalid", but I don't always get an error message. I do usually get a box that's normally black, but is - I think - meant to be the box where you can get Toad to mail an error report:

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

ARGH! I thought maybe the issue was due to highlighting (well, at least one is, maybe) but I was just in the middle of typing in the editor and Toad just barfed on me, with no error message this time, only the stupid black box I showed earlier. big sigh

Your sample is solid. Not sure if it's the highlighting or the scrolling yet, but it's 100% reproducible now.

Thanks,

Michael

On 03/20/2015 01:14 PM, Boneist wrote:

Reply by Boneist
ARGH! I thought maybe the issue was due to highlighting (well, at least one is, maybe) but I was just in the middle of typing in the editor and Toad just barfed on me, with no error message this time, only the stupid black box I showed earlier. big sigh

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Maybe it’s something to do with brackets checking or something else, since the last occurrence wasn’t highlighting or scrolling based, or maybe there’s more than one issue present. I can’t reproduce the non-highlighty one at will though.

Btw, in 12.6 and earlier, the editor would highlight the brackets no matter where you put the caret inside them. I know the world has changed with the new editor, but now you have to put the caret right next to the bracket to see the corresponding bracket. Is it not possible to make the behaviour the same as 12.6? I miss it sniffles

toad_brackets_highlighting.jpeg

Aha! GDI Objects increase when you do anything (typing, scrolling, pasting, page up/down etc). 10,000 GDI Objects: Toad barfs. I guess it’s some sort of system limit? (I’m on windows 7, 16gb ram, 64bit (although I’m running the 32bit Beta, as that’s what they give us for the GA), fwiw)

By default there's a per process limit of 10,000. This can be increased, but you shouldn't need to. The problem is a call to repaint the control. If I comment out that line, no more problems.

On 03/20/2015 02:07 PM, Boneist wrote:

Reply by Boneist
Aha! GDI Objects increase when you do anything (typing, scrolling, pasting, page up/down etc). 10,000 GDI Objects: Toad barfs. I guess it's some sort of system limit? (I'm on windows 7, 16gb ram, 64bit (although I'm running the 32bit Beta, as that's what
they give us for the GA), fwiw)

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

This should be fixed in next beta.

Thanks,

Michael

On 03/20/2015 07:28 AM, Boneist wrote:

Editor in .54 - status bar changes to black when you start typing

Thread created by Boneist
Hi,

When I launch the editor in 12.7.0.54, it displays the status bar just fine. However, when I type a letter, it all goes black:

Interestingly, if I resize Toad (eg. switch from Maximized to not maximized, or manually change the size when it's not maximized) or I highlight some text and hit delete, the status bar is shown correctly again. Type something and it disappears again.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

I’ve just tested this in .56 and not only does the status bar no longer turn black (hurrah!) the GDI objects no longer increase willy-nilly. I think there may be a larger number of GDI objects created when opening an editor window in 12.7 than in 12.6, but hopefully not enough to cause anyone a problem, unless they open a large amount of editor windows!

There are more GDI objects used now, but not by too much. I did a test the other day and having one editor open in 12.7 compared to 12.6 was using ~50 more GDI objects, but now that things are stabilized the increase shouldn't affect anything.

Michael

On 03/24/2015 05:59 AM, Boneist wrote:

Reply by Boneist
I've just tested this in .56 and not only does the status bar no longer turn black (hurrah!) the GDI objects no longer increase willy-nilly. I think there may be a larger number of GDI objects created when opening an editor window in 12.7 than in 12.6, but
hopefully not enough to cause anyone a problem, unless they open a large amount of editor windows!

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.