More TOAD 12.0.061 bugs / issues

1. If the database a TOAD editor window is connected to goes down or is taken offline, you are often left with the situation where you can't shut down the session, or an editor tab - even after reconnecting. I often find I also cannot shut TOAD down and have to kill the process in Task Manager. This happens a lot. I also get a panel below the messages, which shows errors, and once the error window is closed cannot be filled.

EOF communication channel occurred. Reconnected, now am left with a quarter of my screen eaten up by a mysterious panel beneath messages.

1. Cancel query often doesn't work, leads to non-closeable tabs.

2. Please please please make sure all editor windows obey the colour settings. Some don't, it's very annoying!

7245.TOAD1.jpeg

My editor colours are dark to protect my eyes. Default background is dark blue with light text colours.

2134.TOAD2.jpeg

Examples of the many dialogs that don't obey my settings. how am I supposed to read this?!!! My background default is totally ignored. Not everyone likes a white background.

1. The new "Open" dialog never remembers the display settings and always defaults back to "Medium Icons". I get sick and tired of setting it to details every single time.

2. The sync scripts generated by the DB compare tool don't use monospaced fonts, so it is extremely unreadable especially if some minor editing is required, it should use the font defined for editing.

3. All of the times in the Profile Analysis (Total Execution Time, Average Execution Time, Min and Max Time) need to be group-able by the top Run Object, not all run objects when column sorting. Timings are generally pertinent to the Run Object, not to everything else!. Perhaps you could add Shift Column click sorting to sort by multiple columns or allow grouping?

4. TOAD editor really needs a "comment selected block" to accompany comment block. This would put a /* */ pair around the selected text.

5. Auto Debugger needs a "Apply Auto Debugger to Selected Block". I sometimes only want to auto debug a small block of code, not have 40,000 debug entries put into a package for everything. This feature has been wanting for a while.

6. Master Detail Browser has no facility clear and start again in the same window.

7. Colour set-up for the syntax highlighter on the editor is incomprehensible.

8. DBMS_Output (DO) automatic polling. Very useful as long as an exception in code doesn't occur. Sometimes you add DO to get to the root of an unexpected exception, but it doesn't return any. Could this poll before any exception is re-raised to show the buffer?

Hi Paul,

For master detail, if you want to start over, just pick a new table for the ‘master’. When you do that, all of the child tables will be cleared away.

-John

I can answer number 11.

This is an issue with how the DBMS_DEBUG API works on ORA10Gr2 and above. Once the exception occurs, the sync that is required to pull the DBMS_DEBUG output
from the target session into the main session can’t occur (the target session spins off into space and never comes back). Because of this, we’re unable to retrieve the DBMS_DEBUG output (as well as any REFCURSOR output). A workaround is to execute the procedure
w/o debug (right click -> Execute -> Execute PL/SQL code (no debugger)). This method of execution does not require the additional sessions to be created (and therefore does not require the sync to occur) and will then give you the DBMS_DEBUG output you desire.

Hope that helps.

Greg

One down, 10 to go.

Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:35 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] More TOAD 12.0.061 bugs / issues

Thread created by PaulZip

1. If the database a TOAD editor window is connected to goes down or is taken offline, you are often left with the situation where you can’t shut down the session, or an editor tab - even after
    reconnecting. I often find I also cannot shut TOAD down and have to kill the process in Task Manager. This happens a lot. I also get a panel below the messages, which shows errors, and once the error window is closed cannot be filled.

2. Cancel query often doesn’t work, leads to non-closeable tabs.

3. Please please please make sure all editor windows obey the colour settings. Some don’t, it’s very annoying!

My editor colours are dark to protect my eyes. Default background is dark blue with light text colours.

Examples of the many dialogs that don’t obey my settings. how am I supposed to read this?!!! My background default is totally ignored. Not everyone likes a white background.

1. The new “Open” dialog never remembers the display settings and always defaults back to “Medium Icons”. I get sick and tired of setting it to details every single time.

2. The sync scripts generated by the DB compare tool don’t use monospaced fonts, so it is extremely unreadable especially if some minor editing is required, it should use the font defined for
    editing.

3. All of the times in the Profile Analysis (Total Execution Time, Average Execution Time, Min and Max Time) need to be group-able by the top Run Object, not all run objects when column sorting.
    Timings are generally pertinent to the Run Object, not to everything else!. Perhaps you could add Shift Column click sorting to sort by multiple columns or allow grouping?

4. TOAD editor really needs a “comment selected block” to accompany comment block. This would put a /* */ pair around the selected text.

5. Auto Debugger needs a “Apply Auto Debugger to Selected Block”. I sometimes only want to auto debug a small block of code, not have 40,000 debug entries put into a package for everything.
    This feature has been wanting for a while.

6. Master Detail Browser has no facility clear and start again in the same window.

8. DBMS_Output (DO) automatic polling. Very useful as long as an exception in code doesn’t occur. Sometimes you add DO to get to the root of an unexpected exception, but it doesn’t return
    any. Could this poll before any exception is re-raised to show the buffer?

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hello, I may be able to help with #'s 1,2, and 4. See my responses in green

1. If the database a TOAD editor window is connected to goes down or is taken offline, you are often left with the situation where you can’t shut down the session, or an editor tab - even after
    reconnecting. I often find I also cannot shut TOAD down and have to kill the process in Task Manager. This happens a lot. I also get a panel below the messages, which shows errors, and once the error window is closed cannot be filled.
  • This has been an ongoing issue for years with no clear-cut solution. We have improved how Toad behaves when DB’s go down, but you there are so many different scenarios and functions
    Toad could be doing when this happens. The only true way to fix this would be for Toad to constantly poll the DB, which would be a huge performance hit, and even then, not full proof.*
  1. Cancel query often doesn’t work, leads to non-closeable tabs.
  • Please provide more info. Are you in the Editor or SB? Do you have the threaded queries option turned on? Are you canceling the actual query or data fetch? Do you have
    multiple queries running in multiple Editor tabs?*
  1. Please please please make sure all editor windows obey the colour settings. Some don’t, it’s very annoying!

Examples of the many dialogs that don’t obey my settings. how am I supposed to read this?!!! My background default is totally ignored. Not everyone likes a white background.

1. The new “Open” dialog never remembers the display settings and always defaults back to “Medium Icons”. I get sick and tired of setting it to details every single time.
  • I don’t see this issue. Please keep in mind that the open and save dialogs are not the same and each of them save settings separately. I opened the dialog, changed to list
    view, canceled, re-opened and it was still list view. I restarted Toad, still list view. Can you provide steps?*
  1. The sync scripts generated by the DB compare tool don’t use monospaced fonts, so it is extremely unreadable especially if some minor editing is required, it should use the font defined for
    editing.

2. All of the times in the Profile Analysis (Total Execution Time, Average Execution Time, Min and Max Time) need to be group-able by the top Run Object, not all run objects when column sorting.
    Timings are generally pertinent to the Run Object, not to everything else!. Perhaps you could add Shift Column click sorting to sort by multiple columns or allow grouping?

3. TOAD editor really needs a “comment selected block” to accompany comment block. This would put a /* */ pair around the selected text.

4. Auto Debugger needs a “Apply Auto Debugger to Selected Block”. I sometimes only want to auto debug a small block of code, not have 40,000 debug entries put into a package for everything.

5. Master Detail Browser has no facility clear and start again in the same window.

6. Colour set-up for the syntax highlighter on the editor is incomprehensible.

7. DBMS_Output (DO) automatic polling. Very useful as long as an exception in code doesn’t occur. Sometimes you add DO to get to the root of an unexpected exception, but it doesn’t return

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hey Paul,

For item #4, it could also be that your GUI Settings file may have gotten corrupt. If you go to the General page of the Toad Options window, you should be
able to see the path to your Application Data Directory. Click on the [Open Folder] button and navigate to the [User Files] and [GUISettings] subfolders. The dialog visual settings are stored in the TOAD_GUI2.ini file. If that doesn’t exist, that may explain
why you’re defaulting to the “Medium Icons” view.

If it does exist, try removing the section “ToadOpenDialogForm.PropSaver”. (Toad must be closed to do this.) You can also rename the file, but that might
affect other windows. Then launch Toad, go into the Open Dialog and reconfigure it to the way you want it. When the dialog closes, the new settings should be saved.

-John

2. Cancel query often doesn’t work, leads to non-closeable tabs.

3. Please please please make sure all editor windows obey the colour settings. Some don’t, it’s very annoying!

2. The sync scripts generated by the DB compare tool don’t use monospaced fonts, so it is extremely unreadable especially if some minor editing is required, it should use the font defined for
    editing.

3. All of the times in the Profile Analysis (Total Execution Time, Average Execution Time, Min and Max Time) need to be group-able by the top Run Object, not all run objects when column sorting.

4. TOAD editor really needs a “comment selected block” to accompany comment block. This would put a /* */ pair around the selected text.

5. Auto Debugger needs a “Apply Auto Debugger to Selected Block”. I sometimes only want to auto debug a small block of code, not have 40,000 debug entries put into a package for everything.

8. DBMS_Output (DO) automatic polling. Very useful as long as an exception in code doesn’t occur. Sometimes you add DO to get to the root of an unexpected exception, but it doesn’t return

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

@John Dorlon. Thanks for the Master Detail tip but wouldn’t it more more intuitive for a Clear all button?

@Gregory Liss, ok, if it’s an Oracle limitation, fair enough, thanks for recommendations.

@Brad Boddicker.

1. Our development servers go offline every night for backups and so when I come in in the morning, having left TOAD open on my machine, my TOAD is knackered. I normally reconnect, but I often cannot close tabs, cannot close TOAD down etc. I’m not bothered about polling to check the connection, I just want TOAD to behave once I reconnect my sessions!

2. The cancel query situation is sometimes related to 1. or if I get an EOF communication channel when executing a query or sometimes just trying to cancel. I’m not running queries in threads.

3. The open dialog sometimes remembers my setting but not always, I don’t understand why.

There's a list of Editor states that enables/disables the cancel action. Something's not getting cleared. I'll take a peek. I also have your email in a todo list to follow up on the other Editor issues when I have a moment.

On 07/23/2013 12:13 PM, PaulZip wrote:

RE: More TOAD 12.0.061 bugs / issues

Reply by PaulZip
@John Dorlon. Thanks for the Master Detail tip but wouldn't it more more intuitive for a Clear all button?

@Gregory Liss, ok, if it's an Oracle limitation, fair enough, thanks for recommendations.

@Brad Boddicker.

1. Our development servers go offline every night for backups and so when I come in in the morning, having left TOAD open on my machine, my TOAD is knackered. I normally reconnect, but I often cannot close tabs, cannot close TOAD down etc. I'm not bothered
    about polling to check the connection, I just want TOAD to behave once I reconnect my sessions!
  1. The cancel query situation is sometimes related to 1. or if I get an EOF communication channel when executing a query or sometimes just trying to cancel. I'm not running queries in threads.
  1. The open dialog sometimes remembers my setting but not always, I don't understand why.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Keep in mind that database products cannot simply reconnect like email such as Microsoft Exchange. Email may have pending messages – but that does not affect
other users. So a reconnect and resume in-flight transaction is much simpler. So should Toad just close all Windows when a connection is lost – nobody would like that. The real issue is why do people leave their tools up overnight when they know the database
is going down – and given the compliance/security world we live in why leave apps up overnight anyhow. Many companies require people to logff when they leave for these reasons – and they do not accept screen savers with passwords. So for Toad to fix a problem
that many people try to avoid is asking a lot …

Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:13 AM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] More TOAD 12.0.061 bugs / issues

Reply by PaulZip

@John Dorlon. Thanks for the Master Detail tip but wouldn’t it more more intuitive for a Clear all button?

@Gregory Liss, ok, if it’s an Oracle limitation, fair enough, thanks for recommendations.

@Brad Boddicker.

1. Our development servers go offline every night for backups and so when I come in in the morning, having left TOAD open on my machine, my TOAD is knackered. I normally reconnect, but I often
    cannot close tabs, cannot close TOAD down etc. I’m not bothered about polling to check the connection, I just want TOAD to behave once I reconnect my sessions!

2. The cancel query situation is sometimes related to 1. or if I get an EOF communication channel when executing a query or sometimes just trying to cancel. I’m not running queries in threads.

3. The open dialog sometimes remembers my setting but not always, I don’t understand why.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

@Bert Scalzo : As a developer there are often occasions were I run intensive out of hours profiling or end of day processes (large queries on hundreds of millions of accounts rows that can take hours). These cannot be run in work time as would kill the server CPU and affect other users. These queries always finish before the backup occurs, but regardless, I’m not asking to resume an in-flight transaction! Moreover I want TOAD to behave following a reconnection. I don’t think it is unreasonable to ask that an editor tab on a reconnected session can be closed - after all it allows me to write queries and run them fine, or TOAD can be closed when I try to close it.

An ideal world like you suggest (where everyone logs out every night) does not match my experience of the development needs and support of test and production environments on enterprise databases.

1. It sounds like the threaded query option may be worth checking out if you have not done so. We implemented this feature for people like you who often execute
    long running queries simultaneously.

2. In this case, see John Bowman’s reply. Clearing out some of these possible corrupt files may do the trick.

Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 12:13 PM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] More TOAD 12.0.061 bugs / issues

Reply by PaulZip

@Brad Boddicker.

1. Our development servers go offline every night for backups and so when I come in in the morning, having left TOAD open on my machine, my TOAD is knackered. I normally reconnect, but I often
    cannot close tabs, cannot close TOAD down etc. I’m not bothered about polling to check the connection, I just want TOAD to behave once I reconnect my sessions!

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

@John Dorlon. Thanks for the Master Detail tip but wouldn't it be more intuitive for a Clear all button?

Yes, I suppose so. Added.

For item #1, I have also some comments. This happens in 11.5 and up versions.

The annoying part is this happens a lot and workaround for this before running any query if you hit “Test Connection (Reconnect)” then Toad behaves normally.

But if forget (generally you do) then execute any query (or open any windows that queries DB) than, it gives error to Reconnect then we click reconnect then voila. You cannot end session, close tab, close window even you cannot close Toad. Menus are dissappear some rendering problems occurs. Result we have kill Toad.

Same problem doesn’t happen before v11.5.

Expected results: After any communication channel problem ( DB crash, or session timeout, DB shutdown whatever) when toad gives error about to reconnect session. Then it should reconnect session.

Same behavior when we click Test Connection (Reconnect) on Session Menu.

And another issue from me;

item #12.

Genarally i use multiple copies of Toad. so i enabled “Allow multiple copies of Toad to be loaded”.

But every 5-10min it gives error about

“Cannot create file “C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\12.0\User Files\CONNECTIONPWDS.INI”. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process”

i just hit ok/ignore then continue work. I don’t know if it happens 'cos of my setting or bug

Paul, I fwd’ed my replies back to the group and it broke up the thread. Here are my two recent replies.

www.toadworld.com/…/20050.aspx

www.toadworld.com/…/20049.aspx

Item #3 is good. I like it and I’ve found other areas in the product where the background color is applied and either the font color is not applied or the setting is so far removed in options that it’s not intuitive what needs to be done (DBMS Output tab for instance has its own font setting). It’s inconsistent for sure. It’s late in the release to make such a change especially since some may like the various font settings so I’ve created an IdeaPond item for this. Feel free to comment on it and vote.

toadfororacle.ideascale.com/…/442755-8477

Michael

Michael, unfortunately as an IdeaPond item it'll never get enough votes - most people stick with the white background dark text defaults. Regardless, it shouldn't even be in this situation, colouring in TOAD is buggy and totally inconsistent. Unless you want to stick with dark fonts and white background, you're left with unreadable text in pretty much any ancillary form showing an editor or listbox. As a developer myself, all I can say is that in all honesty, for such an expensive product, colouring / font and background handling is shoddy and unacceptably amateurish. I would suggest to TOAD developers to change their colour schemes and actually check for yourselves.

Yet other classic colouring screw up in TOAD 12.1.0.22, TOAD Insight now completely broken, probably because I have white fonts in my editor:

The only way TOAD insight can now be used is if I highlight all of the items. Great huh?....

Michael offered a viable solution – submit to idea pond. Toad is essentially owned and developed by the community for the community. They rule – and the idea
pond is their forum to vote and hence prioritize ideas (since there are limited dev resources that must be spent prudently). Many great ideas have come from the idea pond. It works for most people.

Your reply has a lot of vinegar:

·
colouring in TOAD is buggy and totally inconsistent

·
an expensive product, colouring / font and background handling is shoddy and unacceptably amateurish

·
suggest to TOAD developers to change their colour schemes and actually check for yourselves

·
Great huh?..

You say as a developer yourself. So how would you respond to someone not willing to do what works for everyone else and spouting nasty stuff your way? My guess
is you’d delete their emails as you may well do with this one …

Put your idea on the idea pond – your idea/request has merit and I can assure you that others will vote for it – including myself
J

@Bert. So which of my statements is invalid?

I get frustrated as I am trying to use a product which offers broken functionality, colouring in TOAD has not worked correctly in years, still doesn’t and nothing has been done to sort it. It is a development tool and colouring in editors is important, especially if you spend 10 hours a day staring and working on thousands of lines of code. All of my other development environments (Visual Studio, Delphi, Notepad++, etc.) colour handling works, so, so should TOAD. It’s poor development and attention to detail that it doesn’t, that’s a fact. I suggested TOAD devs change their colour scheme to experience the frustrations, that is a perfectly valid point also don’t you think. Burying your head in the sand, or countering doesn’t.

Viable solution? Something that relies on a voting process to be fixed? It is not an idea for improvement, it is a string of usability bugs that has been there for years and should’ve been addressed as such years ago. “Not willing to do what works”. Works for whom, for me? Waiting more years for it to be fixed? I don’t think you live with the pressures of my world.

Perhaps you shouldn’t be so defensive all the time (I’ve looked at a lot of your replies) and remember the idiom that the customer is always right - we keep TOAD alive, it’s exactly what I do in my job and most of the TOAD guys have done in their replies and helpfulness.

I said your idea has merit and I would vote for it – i.e. I agree with you / good idea. No disagreement on concept – just delivery.

Yet more vinegar from you now personal – i.e. bury head in sand, defensive, helpfulness (you excluded).

So I’m out of here – I will still vote for your idea if you post it. The idea is still a good one as I said from the start.

I also hope when you cool down that you look back at this exchange and see I was on your side and trying to support your idea, so essentially calling me such
a jerk because I did not just agree with you that bashing our product and developers was the right approach. That negative approach was as unhelpful as you have decided to label me …

Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 6:56 AM

Reply by PaulZip

@Bert. So which of my statements is invalid?

I get frustrated as I am trying to use a product which offers broken functionality, colouring in TOAD has not worked correctly in years, still doesn’t and nothing has been done to sort it. It
is a development tool and colouring in editors is important, especially if you spend 10 hours a day staring and working on thousands of lines of code. All of my other development environments (Visual Studio, Delphi, Notepad++, etc.) colour handling works,
so, so should TOAD. It’s poor development and attention to detail that it doesn’t, that’s a fact. I suggested TOAD devs change their colour scheme to experience the frustrations, that is a perfectly valid point also don’t you think. Burying your head in
the sand, or countering doesn’t.

Viable solution? Something that relies on a voting process to be fixed? It is not an idea for improvement, it is a string of usability bugs that has been there for years and should’ve been
addressed as such years ago. “Not willing to do what works”. Works for whom, for me? Waiting more years for it to be fixed? I don’t think you live with the pressures of my world.

Perhaps you shouldn’t be so defensive all the time (I’ve looked at a lot of your replies) and remember the idiom that the customer is always right - we keep TOAD alive, it’s exaxctly what I
do in my job and most of the TOAD guys have done in their replies and helpfulness (you excluded).

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Bert, I appreciate that you’d vote for the idea, but without sounding offensive it’s not an “idea” - this is core functionality, which is why it is at the route of my vinegar (I might have to use that term in future). This issue affects me every single day of work and has done for years, can you see why I might be impassioned about it? It’s why my countenance to the IdeaPond suggestion is not forthcoming. - I have no guarantee it’ll ever get addressed that way, especially as I’m not part of the default burnt retina white screen brigade. I’ve been developing for far too long to know how staring at predominantly white screens are not good for your eyes, an optician friend of mine even says that. I totally concur that the IdeaPond is a great way to mandate the direction of a product, it’s democratic and has feedback, but in my opinion, core bugs shouldn’t be part of it.

My comments weren’t meant to be personal, moreover observational and I appreciate you are protecting your interests and investments (TOAD is possibly a big part of your job and therefore time and life etc.), so I hope you understand it wasn’t done with malice but was borne out of long standing frustration.

Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren’t used to an environment where excellence is expected. ― Steve Jobs

For those looking for the Idea Pond link, it's here:
http://toadfororacle.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Apply-Editor-background-color-font-uniformly/442755-8477
. Add any comments if the idea does not accurately reflect your feelings.

TOAD Insight now completely broken

By default controls want to inherit the font properties of their parent. I've disabled that property for the code insight popup. This is fixed for Toad 12.5.

you're left with unreadable text in pretty much any ancillary form showing an editor or listbox

The font/color settings on the View|Options|Editor|Display page affect the text memo within the Editor. It is not designed, implied, or intended to extend beyond that scope except in a few closely related features that display SQL and PL/SQL like the Schema
Browser, Source tab, etc. Think of it as a code editor option. Anywhere code is displayed in that control should obey it. The options are not to skin or apply a theme to the entire product. There are some other areas where a partial usage of editor options
cause problems like the recover documents window that you pointed out some time back. We can fix that one without Idea Pond support. It should have always observed the color since it is using your syntax highlighter settings. This is fixed for Toad 12.5.

Other areas of the product need Idea Pond support. We have a lot of users and perhaps not everyone feels the same way regarding colors. Some may find dark background and lighter font colors easier for development to better identify various language tokens,
but they may not want them applied everywhere. I understand where you're coming from and by posting your issue here on the main Toad board it is seen by many. Hopefully others reading will take a moment to vote your idea up or down if they feel strongly about
it. When I created that idea based on your previous comments I voted it up. From an accessibility perspective it makes complete sense. It just needs some support.

If you notice any other bugs like the Code Insight and Recover Documents windows post them.

Michael

On 10/02/2013 04:51 AM, PaulZip wrote:

Reply by PaulZip
Michael, unfortunately as an IdeaPond item it'll never get enough votes - most people stick with the white background dark text defaults. Regardless, it shouldn't even be in this situation, colouring in TOAD is buggy and totally inconsistent. Unless you
want to stick with dark fonts and white background, you're left with unreadable text in pretty much any ancillary form showing an editor or listbox. As a developer myself, all I can say is that in all honesty, for such an expensive product, colouring / font
and background handling is shoddy and unacceptably amateurish. I would suggest to TOAD developers to change their colour schemes and actually check for yourselves.

Yet other classic colouring screw up in TOAD 12.1.0.22, TOAD Insight now completely broken, probably because I have white fonts in my editor:

The only way TOAD insight can now be used is if I highlight all of the items. Great huh?....

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Thanks Michael. I don’t mind if the colouring only applies to the main edit control, as long as it is consistent and other editor parts of TOAD don’t partially use this colour scheme (like font colours but not background). My main gripe is not being able to see text in controls, rendering them not very useful, or inconsistencies on when it does and doesn’t apply.

I look forward to the next version and many thanks for finding time to answer.