Explain plan - Save To JPG

Hello,

In the explain plan interface, one can right-click in the “plan” pane and select “Save To JPG”. The suggested file has a the .JPG extension, but its contents are a .BMP?

Interesting, I did not notice this option before.
But it does not work for me anyway. After selecting a folder and a file name for the .jpeg file all I get is an error message:

11:27:55 AM Cannot open clipboard

and no image file.

Hi Dominique,

Apologise if I’m clueless. I saved it as JPG. The Properties page shows the file type as JPG. How do you know the content is a bitmap?

Alexey not sure why it doesn’t work for you. Screenshots please.

Gwen

Hi Dominique,

I found out a way to check. Will raise a CR for it.

Cheers,
Gwen

Okay, I think I figured it out…

Click "Save To JPG’, type ‘1’ in the file name field, click OK – saves normally into 1.jpg file.

Click "Save To JPG’, type ‘1.jpg’ in the file name field, click OK – "Cannot open clipboard’ error.

Click "Save To XML’, type ‘1.jpg’ in the file name field, click OK – saves normally into 1.jpg.xml file.

As I can see, the .jpg files created are really BMP.
1.jpg.old 8,341,614 bytes - file saved by SQL Nav
1.bmp 8,341,614 bytes - same file saved in Paint as BMP
1.jpg 177,173 bytes - same file saved in Paint as JPEG

The real JPEG file looks like this in HEX editor:
0000000000: FF D8 FF E0 00 10 4A 46 │ 49 46 00 01 01 01 00 60 ÿOÿà ►JFIF :slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile: `

The file created by SQL Nav looks like this:
0000000000: 42 4D 6E 48 7F 00 00 00 │ 00 00 36 00 00 00 28 00 BMnH⌂ 6 (

Hi Alexey,

I tried typing ‘1.JPG’ in the name field and later on opened using paint. It worked ok for me. What did you use to open the image?

The issue with sqlnav saving it as bmp will be addressed.

Gwen

Gwen,

I just noticed this issue is not solved yet - the right-click menu still lists “Save To JPG” but writes BMP-content.
Paint seems to disregard the file extension and examine the actual content (which, in the case of a BMP file, starts with “BM”).

Hi Dominique,

The CR that Gwen created is still open and we haven’t worked on it yet. Currently our development mainly focus on the Code Editor. I will let you know when we fix this in the future.

Thanks,
Vincent