For Team Coding-Team Project-All Schemas, can you include schema in your object filters?

I've set up a Team Project in Team Coding and select all schemas.

Is there a way to include schema in my object filters? What I would like to see is a) everything from schema NWC and b) for all other schemas - just objects starting with Z

I know I could do this by setting up all schemas individually but there are several schemas so its fairly tedious. And if a new schema is added to the database, then it wouldn't be included in the filter rules.

Also, when all schemas is specified, TOAD only populates the VCS slowly over time as objects are updated, rather than immediately moving everything in the database into the local repository and then into the VCS.

I assume you want to either use the Team Coding Manager or the Schema Browser to access your controlled objects. With your all schemas setup, you won’t see controlled objects in the TC Manager until they are checked out and checked into VCS. We did this by design as we did not want to check your entire DB into VCS and display every object in the DB in the TC manager. I think 99% of users would prefer this way.

Currently, there is no way to filter in the TC Manager. You can however filter in the Schema Browser (left side filter button) and have access to your Team Coding Features. You can view objects of the same type from multiple schemas.

2 other options would be the SB Favorites tab or the Project Manager. I think the Project manager (View > Project manager) may be your best bet. Start by R-clicking in the PM and adding a schema, then add objects under your schema that you want to see (You can add multiple objects at once using Object Search filters). You will have full access to the same Team Coding menu in here that you do in the Schema Browser.

Good luck!

Brad

Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 2:39 PM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] For Team Coding-Team Project-All Schemas, can you include schema in your object filters?

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

For Team Coding-Team Project-All Schemas, can you include schema in your object filters?

Thread created by dwmosman

I’ve set up a Team Project in Team Coding and select all schemas.

Is there a way to include schema in my object filters? What I would like to see is a) everything from schema NWC and b) for all other schemas - just objects starting with Z

I know I could do this by setting up all schemas individually but there are several schemas so its fairly tedious. And if a new schema is added to the database, then it wouldn’t be included in the filter rules.

Also, when all schemas is specified, TOAD only populates the VCS slowly over time as objects are updated, rather than immediately moving everything in the database into the local repository and then into the VCS.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle Forum
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hello, me again. I completely missed your screenshot when I replied the first time. I see now you’re trying to filter your controlled objects from your team project, good.

You are correct, you cannot specify schema in object filters when using “All Schemas”. This seems like a good enhancment

Thanks for the reply Brad.

We have a few schemas that are populated with thousands of standard Vendor objects, which we don’t need to see. And,of course, they also hold a few objects which have been modified and so need to be controlled, sigh. So “ignore until checkout” might be the best mode for us. Do a lot of your customers just go with a single “All Schema” team project?

Actually, I think that the ideal would be if we could assign the “ignore until checkout” mode to those few individual schema and continue to manage the rest of the schema’s the normal way. Is that a possibility?

Hey Douglas,

As Brad mentioned, there's no way to use the schema name in the filter specification in order to filter by schema name. Since the filters are based on objects and types within a particular schema, it wouldn't make much sense; however, I can take a look to see if that's possible to add when a user uses the "All Schemas" method to control their database objects.

I know I could do this by setting up all schemas individually but there are several schemas so its fairly tedious. And if a new schema is added to the database, then it wouldn't be included in the filter rules.

That's actually what most people do who want to control specific schemas. If you have a number of schemas, I can understand how it could be a bit tedious; however, it only needs to be set up once. Once it's set up, you should never need to revisit the project definition again.

That being said, keep in mind that adding exclusion filters on object types means that objects matching those filters will not be controlled by Team Coding. As a result, anyone using Toad will have the ability to modify them at any point. If you want to protect them from modification, you would need to include them and then freeze them, or use database permissions to make them read-only except for specific database roles.

We have a few schemas that are populated with thousands of standard Vendor objects, which we don't need to see. And,of course, they also hold a few objects which have been modified and so need to be controlled, sigh.

In this scenario, I would include the schemas for control and allow Team Coding to control all the objects within them. Then, I would freeze those schemas so no one could make changes to them. You can freeze individual objects, specific object types, entire schemas, or entire Team Projects. Only members of the TC_ADMIN_ROLE role have the ability to freeze and unfreeze objects -- regular users can't. Then, whenever you need to make a change to a frozen object, a member of TC_ADMIN_ROLE can unfreeze the object in question, or the entire schema, which can then be modified by any user. Once you're done, that object or schema can be refrozen to prevent additional modifications.

So "ignore until checkout" might be the best mode for us. Do a lot of your customers just go with a single "All Schema" team project?

I'd have to leave this up to other users on the board. I'd be a bit curious myself to know how many people prefer the "All Schemas" method in Team Coding.

Actually, I think that the ideal would be if we could assign the "ignore until checkout" mode to those few individual schema and continue to manage the rest of the schema's the normal way. Is that a possibility?

Unfortunately, this is possible, but it would take a good bit of effort on your part as each object would need to be checked out individually in order to add them to the Team Coding Manger window. It would probably be easier to include the individual schemas in the Team Project and then freeze the schemas you don't want to deal with within the Team Coding Manager window (by right-clicking on the schema name and selecting "Advanced -> Freeze Objects").

-John

Is there a way to include schema in my object filters? ...

Actually, after reading the responses, I'm revisiting my thinking. With all-schema mode, it seems the way to go is to include everything and always go to schema browser when you need an object. Team Coding then becomes a record of what objects have been touched since version control was implemented, (which would be handy for tracking those few vendor objects that have been modded).

I know I could do this by setting up all schemas individually...

OK. I wasn't thinking about the fact that the filters were defining what was, and was not, controlled by team coding, not just what was viewed. So that's definitely a consideration. I've been more worried about performance. I haven't yet successfully added any of the larger schemas to version control due to run time issues. And since there are 7 of us which would have to propogate to local workspaces??? Also, I'm wondering what will happen when the vendor sends out a new release and many of those objeccts change...

Actually, I think that the ideal would be...

I will certainly follow-up on freeze but I guess I will have to wait until I'm done checking out all-schema mode so Team Coding will let me pick a schema :confused:

Performance is a big concern. I have not successfully populated any of these large schemas into the repository yet due to length of run. If there are 7 of us then I assume that these schemas will need to be propogated to all seven local repositories, correct?

What do we do when the vendor sends a new release and most of their objects change? And how will we merge our few modified vendor objects back with the new vendor code?