Formatting(Look and Feel) Entries on Workspace.

Hi

I am wondering if it is possible to add an extra tools that allow us to fill in the colour of the entities or “look and feel” of the entities . At the moment, we need to right click on the entities and click on “Format” to change the “look and feel”.

It would be grateful if it could share the custom colour as well (E.g. at the moment, after I added the custom colour, the custom colour on available on the entities we set the custom colour on. when we click on another entities, we need to see it again) Although we may be able to change it on default class, it would be convenience it we could just add an custom colour on a fly.

Please let me know if you would like me to explain more.

Many thanks

Chi

Hello Chi,

Thanks for your post.

I am wondering if it is possible to add an extra tools that allow us to fill in the colour of the entities or "look and feel" of the entities . At the moment, we need to right click on the entities and click on "Format" to change the "look and feel".

Let me have a few comments.

1. Before you create a new model, you have an option to define default "look and feel" of all objects for the new model: Settings menu | Options | Physical/Logical model | tabs General, Shape and Entities.
    What you define here, will be used for all objects in new models (physical/logical). If you change the settings here, the changes will not be applied in already existing models.

2. In already existing models, you can change the format of entities at one jump if you change format of Workspace: right-click of WS and select Workspace Format (including custom color).
    However, one note on this: You will change only format of entities that have identical format with the WS. So, if you modified format of particular entity and the format is different from WS format, you have to edit the particular entity again to change its format.

Well, does it sound difficult? Let me recommend you to watch flash movie on this issue, it's shown and explained better there:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/entry.jspa?externalID=692&categoryID=30

In any case, if the function in my comment 1 doesn't meet your requirement, please write me back. Possibly, I've misunderstood the issue. Thanks!

It would be grateful if it could share the custom colour...

Great suggestion! Thanks. CR # 33 310.

If you have any questions or comments, please write me back.

Regards,

Vladka

Hi Vladka

Thanks for your reply.

Actually what I am trying to do is, separate the tables & views in different categories (if they are for different purpose[some of the table just for reference, some of them store the look up data, for temp data transfer…etc ]) to group them in different colour. When we print off the diagram, people could understand it easier and easier to read as well.

Please let me know if you would like to have more information.

Many thanks

Chi

more explaination
Message was edited by: Chi

Hello,

If you group entities and views in categories, you can simply change color of a category in Category Properties dialog (e.g. define a new custom color), and all entity/view shortcuts in all Workspaces that are assigned to the category will change their color too.

Have you encountered any problem with this?

The Categories movie is available at:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/entry.jspa?externalID=702&categoryID=30

Vladka

Thanks

It could solve the problems.

Is there anyway I could change the relationship(links) colour as well (E.g. all the links links to table A would have specific colour, links to table B will has another colour?) As the model go bigger, it would make it easier to distinguish the links after we print off the diagram.

Many thanks

Chi

Hello Chi,

Categories for relationships are not available. Nevertheless, we will consider your request - CR # 33 331.

Now, TDM 3 allows you only to select multiple relationships and change their format at one jump. - Possibly, this can help you for now.
Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Vladka