Use of colors

I tried to do a check in the forum to see if this was brought up anywhere else but I'm finding it quite frustrating to lose all the color type features moving from ERwin to TDM. I don't want to do an ERwin has this etc etc but so much of the data modeling is graphical in nature that it makes sense to have as much control over it as possible

1. Default colors for PK and FK. Red and green - not much use if I'm color blind. I can't find how to modify that.

2. I would much prefer to be able to have more global control over fonts and settings.

ie) Font Type / Size / Bold for entities, another setting for indexes, another for FK, another for regular attributes.

Also to have the colors inherit from the base/base entity so if I set my table to Blue then all the attributes are blue and any foreign keys in other tables show up as blue.

That way I can essentially see what 'category' a FK is coming from (see image attachment). Same thing for the relationship lines.

1. Way to modify the case of column names. I did an RE and everything is upper case. Maybe there was an option I missed (good idea if its not there) to import in lower case but it would be nice to have some global re-formatting options to change case to upper / lower / TitleCase etc

Just some thoughts while I evaluate

Thanks...

jack

Hi Jack,

Thanks very much for your feedback and suggestions!

I'm finding it quite frustrating to lose all the color type features moving from ERwin to TDM.

We will see what we can do about it. CR # 55 218.

1. Default colors for PK and FK.
    Default colors in Toad Data Modeler are the following:
    PK - red
    PFK - blue
    FK - green
    You cannot change these colors.
  1. I would much prefer to be able to have more global control over fonts and settings.

Yes, in TDM you can only define the format settings to the level of entity. It is not possible to set up different format on the level of attributes. I'm sorry.
Generally, you can set up a preferred default format in Settings | Options | Physical/Logical Model | Workspace. AND for particular WS in Workspace Format AND for particular object in object Format option.

That way I can essentially see what 'category' a FK is coming from (see image attachment). Same thing for the relationship lines.

In TDM, you can add entities and views to categories - please see the Model menu | Categories. Nevertheless, it is not possible to add a relationship to category - we will add this option. CR # 55 219. Thanks!

1. It would be nice to have some global re-formatting options to change case to upper / lower / TitleCase etc

Thanks for your suggestion. CR # 55 220.
At the moment, you can use the scripting feature to change the case of names. Please see the "Convert Entity, Attribute Names to Lower Case" sample script at:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/entry.jspa?externalID=1363&categoryID=35

Note: To be able to open the Scripting Window where you execute the script, Expert Mode must be turned on (Settings | Options | General | Expert Mode.)

If you like to modify the script and need any help, please write us.

Thanks.

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team

Thank you for the speedy reply. I would re-iterate that using red and green together is a huge graphical no no. Anyone who is color-blind will not be able to tell the difference. I would really suggest making those at least options.

Hello,

Thanks for your suggestion.
Option to select a color for PK, PFK, FK etc. - we will see what we can do about it.
CR # 55 307.

Thanks very much for your ideas!

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team

Hi,

A quick update - in the upcoming Beta 3.4.2.6 it will be possible to select the colors of attributes (keys). The Beta will be released this week. Please check out the community Forum / BETA for the release announcement then.

Thanks.

Regards,

Vladka