Toad World® Forums

Getting ORA-12154 error with SQL Navigator 6.3 and Oracle 11g client

Hi,

I was using Oracle 9 client and SQL Navigator 5 to connect to an Oracle 10 database before.

Our database got upgraded to 11g and I couldn’t connect to it using SQL Nav 5. I read that it is incompatible and hence I installed 6.3 and Oracle 11g Client.

When I opened SQL Nav 6.3 for the first time, it asked me the previous version’s properties should be imported and I said YES. But since then I get the below error when I try to connect to the database through the TNS entry.

ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

I am able to connect and query the tables using the “Direct” option. Please suggest.

Regards,
Raghu

Hi Raghu,

We have seen this issue on one of our environment where the Oracle Home selection/switch does not handle well.

We would like to suggest the following work around:

•      In the log in window, please select the Oracle home you wish to use for the connection

•      Check the box: ‘Set as default SQL Navigator Home/Client’ as attached.

•      Then try to connect. You should be able to connect and that client/home will be used from now for you to establish the connection.  

You might change the home in the drop down list when required. Please let us know how you go.

Thanks,
Shirly
nav.jpeg

Shirly,
Thank you very much for your suggestion. It worked fine after I did that.

The 6.3 version was pointing to a new TNSNAMES.ORA file. I had to copy my entries to this new file. This was another change that I had to do.

Plus, I am also able to connect to both the 10g and 11g databases now.

Regards,
Raghu

Thanks Raghu for your feedback.

Hope you enjoy the work with Navigator.

Thanks again,
Shirly

Hi There,

I am using Sql Nav 6.1 - Ora client 10g 32 bit- Win XP 32bit and now I am trying to connect to a 10g DB and I get the same error However when I connect to an 11g then its working fine. I tried the work-around mentioned above but it did not fixed my issue. I also have toad on the same machine and I have no problem connecting to the 10g DB. My oracle client is installed in this path:
C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1
and the Sql Nav is installed here:
C:\Program Files\Quest Software\SQL Navigator for Oracle
I have also noticed that in the drop down menu for the TNSs, the Sql Nav put some extra character at the beginning. It just happens to the first one so if I manually move OM01 to the second place in the TNS file then those characters are gone but now the 2nd one which has become the first one has the extra chars (This character do not exist in the TNS file - I have attached a screenshot of TOAD connection manager which uses the same TNS and you can see that there is not any extra chars). HOWEVER even moving to the second place in TNS file to avoid those extra chars did not fixed the issue and still same error happened.
Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks, Shaya

Hi There,

I am using Sql Nav 6.1 - Ora client 10g 32 bit- Win XP 32bit and now I am trying to connect to a 10g DB and I get the same error However when I connect to an 11g then its working fine. I tried the work-around mentioned above but it did not fixed my issue. I also have toad on the same machine and I have no problem connecting to the 10g DB. My oracle client is installed in this path:
I have also noticed that in the drop down menu for the TNSs, the Sql Nav put some extra character at the beginning. It just happens to the first one so if I manually move OM01 to the second place in the TNS file then those characters are gone but now the 2nd one which has become the first one has the extra chars (This character do not exist in the TNS file - I have attached a screenshot of TOAD connection manager which uses the same TNS and you can see that there is not any extra chars). HOWEVER even moving to the second place in TNS file to avoid those extra chars did not fixed the issue and still same error happened.

Thanks, Shaya
7-16-2012 11-52-52 PM.png

Hi There,

Thanks, Shaya
7-16-2012 11-49-19 PM.png

Hi Shaya,

If it would be ok, could you please send us your tnsnames.ora file.
You can attach the file with your reply post (I will remove the file from the post for you after we download the file), or if you would prefer please send it to my email bruce.duong@quest.com.

We would like to check the tnsnames parser routine with your file.

Thanks and regards,
Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I am sorry but this is confidential information including the server_names/ports and other permissions set to the file itself with the owner’s name along with the version history so I am afraid but I can not send it.

If there is any suggestion toward the solution I would will be happy to try that on my end.

Thanks.

Hi Shaya,

It is ok. I understand it.

Could you please try to copy the only entry of your 10gDB that you have issue with and put it in a new tnsnames file then try to see if you would see same issues on screen and with the connection.

If you still have same issue, you can change the content to dummy values then send the file to us. Would that be possible please?

It might be something in your 10gDB entry that our tnsnames parser could not handle it yet.

Thanks,
Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I got it to work somehow. I installed an 11g R2 32 bit client as the second client on my machine, Then I re-installed SQLNAV in a directory with no space in its path ( C:\Quest\SqlNavOra) and finally while connecting just manually removed the extra Character from the beginning of the service name and it worked!

Thanks

Hi Shaya,

Thank you for your notes.

Great to hear that you have managed to get everything working now. Please let us know if you would have any other issues.

Thanks and regards,
Bruce