Toad World® Forums

Could not resolve service name on SQL Navigator 6.2

Good day, I have a problem connecting to Database with SQL Navigator 6.2, I’m using Oracle10g Express Edition, on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits, everytime I try to connect to the db I get the errror:

**ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

Make sure connection parameters are correct and try again**

I thought it was a problem related to the tnsnames.ora file, but when I try to login using the web admin page, the one that comes with the database installation, I have no problems, I even installed SQL navigator on a virtual machine with Windows XP 32 bits, and no problems at all, I downloaded SQL developer and tried to connect there and it’s working fine…I don’t know what to do, but it’s not working, and I can login using other methods, as I said, any help would be appreciated, thanks in advanced!

Did you try to connect using the sqlplus utility?

Hi,

There are some issues with some of Oracle clients and having SQL Navigator installed into c:\program files (x86) directory on 64 bit OS. I would like to suggest to unistall your SQL Nav 6.2 then reinstall again into a folder outside program files…,ie. could you please install SQL Navigator into c:\Quest Software\SQL Navigator…

Please also note that SQL Navigator can ONLY support Oracle 32 bits client.

Please let us know how you go.

Thanks,
Bruce

Well, SQL Plus utility does not come with Express Edition ( as far as I know), I will check it, but as I said, I’m able to connect with web admin site, with SQL Developer, and on a 32 bits virtual machine environment, I even use the database with no problems on my JSP application.

I did not know that SQL Navigator had some problem working on 64 bits OS, I will reinstall it and try again as well, I hope that’s the solution, I will let you both know later since I’m at work right now, thank you.

It worked!!! I installed it on C:/ and now I’m able to connect to Oracle, thanks for the help!!

Great to hear that. Thanks for letting us know.

Latest oracle client release v11g should fix this issue where you can install 32 bit application into c:\program files. I have 11g R2 client and having SQL Navigator installed in c:\program files and everything works fine.

Regards,
Bruce