Sql navigator 6.3 not starting

Hi Experts,

I have intalled sql navigator 6.3 and it seems to be not starting and always throwing below error.

Cannot load OCI DLL: oci.dll

Install an Oracle Client. It is essential to setup an Oracle client before running SQL Navigator. Please refer to SQL Navigator Installation Notes for more information.

I have installed oracle 11g server on my laptop with windows 7 64 bit. Do I really need to install oracle 11g client and should it be 32 bit or 64 bit?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brij

Hi Brij,

Yes you have to install oracle client with 32 bit then you can use SQLNavigator.

Thanks and best regards,
Shirly

Hi Shirly

Thanks for your help as I installed client 32 bit and the sql navigator starting now.

Now the next problem is that the sql navigator is not detecting my oracle home. I am getting following error.. even I cannot see the tnsnames.ora file when i intalled my client to a different oracle home.

Access violation at address 77516B52 in module 'ntdll.dll'. Write of address 04194A55

Thanks for your help again.

Regards,
Brij

Hi Brij,

For your problem, I guess you may not configurate your tns correctly when installed client, or configurated it to your server home cause SQLNAV cannot find it in your client home.

To solve this, I would like to suggest you copying your tnsnames.ora file manually to your client home .

Please be aware tns shoule be put in right path, below is mine for reference:
D:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client\NETWORK\ADMIN\tnsnames.ora

You are very welcome for any issue, please feel free to contact us, thanks.

Best regards,
Shirly

Hi Birj,

Just following up with Shirly’s note.

It might be same issue as Charlie reported earlier - http://sqlnavigator.inside.quest.com/message.jspa?messageID=125467#125467

The AV occurs because you might have the path of your tnsnames.ora in TNS_ADMIN system variable blank. This is an known issue, we have fixed the AV in thenext release v6.6. In v6.6 you can start up SQL Navigator without theAV but no connection allowed until you set up the TNS_ADMIN pathcorrectly.

Could you please update the TNS_ADMIN to point to the location of tnsnames.ora and try again.

Please let us know how you go.

Thanks,
Bruce

Message was edited by: bruceduong

Thanks Guys… I am all set …

Regards,
Brij