How to copy Team Coding settings?

Now that I have Team Coding working in the GA and think I understand how to use it, I’m ready to get it set up in my Beta and then on my co-worker’s machine. Is there a utility that allows me to copy a project’s settings to another version of Toad or another machine? If I simply go to the Team Coding Configuration in the beta, my only option there is to create a new TC project. Unless I am still confused, I would think that I don’t want a new project but want to open the one created already.

What is the correct way to “deploy” Team Coding to other non-administrator computers?

Phyllis Helton

Data Magician
Digital Products & Strategies, Cru | Data Sciences & Analytics
Office :phone: 407-515-4452

phyllis.helton@cru.org

Hey Phyllis,

The “Team Projects” you have configured should carry over from your GA installation to your beta installation (and to your coworker’s) since that setting is stored in Oracle.

Your local Git repository, however, needs to be cloned to your coworker’s computer. (S)he should be able to do that through Git’s command-line interface. Toad doesn’t automatically handle cloning and/or pushing between repositories since that’s a distributed VCS-specific function and Git is the only distributed VCS provider Toad supports at this time.

Do you see your Team Project configured in the beta in the Team Coding Configuration window?

-John

From: phyllis.helton_1150 [mailto:bounce-phyllishelton_1150@toadworld.com]

Sent: Monday, April 04, 2016 3:49 PM

To: toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] How to copy Team Coding settings?

How to copy Team Coding settings?

Thread created by phyllis.helton_1150

Now that I have Team Coding working in the GA and think I understand how to use it, I’m ready to get it set up in my Beta and then on my co-worker’s machine. Is there a utility that allows me to copy a project’s settings to another version of Toad or another machine? If I simply go to the Team Coding Configuration in the beta, my only option there is to create a new TC project. Unless I am still confused, I would think that I don’t want a new project but want to open the one created already.

What is the correct way to “deploy” Team Coding to other non-administrator computers?

Phyllis Helton

Data Magician

phyllis.helton@cru.org

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

I thought it would automatically carry over, but it doesn't. When I go to the configuration window in the beta, I go to Team Settings first and set my VCS provider to Git. Then I click on Team Projects, but there are no projects showing there. If I try to click OK without selecting a project, I get a message telling me I have to select a project. If I just go to Team Projects without selecting a VCS provider, I also get an empty list.

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 4:01 PM, John Bowman bounce-jbowman@toadworld.com wrote:

RE: How to copy Team Coding settings?

Reply by John Bowman
Hey Phyllis,

The “Team Projects” you have configured should carry over from your GA installation to your beta installation (and to your coworker’s) since that setting is stored in Oracle.

Your local Git repository, however, needs to be cloned to your coworker’s computer. (S)he should be able to do that through Git’s command-line interface. Toad doesn’t automatically handle cloning and/or pushing between repositories since that’s a distributed VCS-specific function and Git is the only distributed VCS provider Toad supports at this time.

Do you see your Team Project configured in the beta in the Team Coding Configuration window?

-John

Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta notifications altogether.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

--
Phyllis Helton

Data Magician

phyllis.helton@cru.org

Hey Phyllis,

Hmm… I just connected to one of my test databases here and installed Team Coding using Toad 12.8. I selected “Git”, connected to my local Git repository (located at “C:\GitRepository”), and created a Team Project (VCS Project: “TKDSCHOOL”, Use Subfolders: True, Parent Folder: , Schema: TKD_SCHOOL).

I then opened up the latest Toad 12.9 beta (.48) and connected to that database. I selected “Configuration” from the “Team Coding” main menu. When I switched to the “Team Settings” page, it had my VCS provider already loaded. Switching to the “Team Projects” page, my project “Team Project 1” (set to Git’s TKDSCHOOL project) was already configured.

Now, if you are using Toad 12.6 or prior’s GA, you will first need to upgrade your Team Coding objects. You can do this by selecting "Upgrade Team Coding in Database" from the tool bar:

There will be an option to "Migrate existing Team Coding settings". Simply check the box to migrate them.

Are you not seeing the same thing?

-John

Hi John,

I'm seeing the Team Coding - Team Settings the same as you have it and have selected Git. Same beta version. No problem there. But when I switch to the Team Projects, this is what I get. And the option to upgrade the team coding DB objects is grayed out - probably because I had them installed from the 12.8 GA.

Would it help for me to drop my project and recreate it? Should I create it from the beta this time?

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 4:44 PM, John Bowman bounce-jbowman@toadworld.com wrote:

Reply by John Bowman
Hey Phyllis,

Hmm… I just connected to one of my test databases here and installed Team Coding using Toad 12.8. I selected “Git”, connected to my local Git repository (located at “C:\GitRepository”), and created a Team Project (VCS Project: “TKDSCHOOL”, Use Subfolders: True, Parent Folder: , Schema: TKD_SCHOOL).

I then opened up the latest Toad 12.9 beta (.48) and connected to that database. I then selected “Configuration” from the “Team Coding” main menu. When I switched to the “Team Settings” page, it had my VCS provider already loaded. Switching to the “Team Projects” page, my project “Team Project 1” (set to Git’s TKDSCHOOL project) will already configured.

Now, if you are using Toad 12.6 or prior’s GA, you will first need to upgrade your Team Coding objects. You can do this by selecting "Upgrade Team Coding in Database" from the tool bar:

Are you not seeing the same thing?

-John

--
Phyllis Helton

Data Magician

phyllis.helton@cru.org

Hi,

only an user with TC admin rights can make the upgrade. Are you logged in with a normal user?

Herald

No. My user has the TC Admin role. And I installed the TC Objects from 12.8, so they shouldn't need to be upgraded according to what John said. I also tried under the tc_admin user with the same results.

Thanks for the thought, though. At this point, I'm willing to try almost anything to get it working. :slight_smile:

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 10:05 AM, herald.ten.dam bounce-heraldtendam@toadworld.com wrote:

Reply by herald.ten.dam
Hi,

only an user with TC admin rights can make the upgrade. Are you logged in with a normal user?

Herald

--
Phyllis Helton

Data Magician

phyllis.helton@cru.org

Hey Phyllis,

Unfortunately, it looks like your image didn’t come through… Can you try to repost it or send it to me offline?

Working in Toad 12.9 is definitely better than working in Toad 12.8 where Team Coding is concerned; however, if you configure your Team Project in Toad 12.9, you’ll need to use Toad 12.9 for all your clients – while Toad 12.9 can read Toad 12.8’s Team Coding settings, Toad 12.8 cannot read Toad 12.9’s format.

That being said, if you and your coworkers are comfortable working in the beta, I think you’ll like the Team Coding experience in 12.9 much more.

-John

You’re correct Phyllis: there’s no need to manually perform a Team Coding upgrade when you move from Toad 12.8 to Toad 12.9. It happens automatically when you press the “OK” or “Apply” button in Toad 12.9’s Team Coding Configuration window.

I don't think the image will help you - it is just an empty window for the Team Projects under the Team Coding Configuration.

I did just get a brainstorm that might help solve this. I spooled the SQL before opening the TC Config window. The first SQL statement after the stored procedure does a select from tcx_config where config_id = :config_id with the bind variable being set to 1. When I run the select without that where clause I get 1 record back - it has a config_id of 21.

I think this explains why I'm not seeing any projects. How do I get this corrected?

Is it possible that at some point in time a sequence is supposed to be reset, but isn't? I've been running the TC Admin under a different user than the one who owns the TC objects, and that user does not have alter any on sequences and triggers. Do I have to run the admin as TC Admin?

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 10:30 AM, John Bowman bounce-jbowman@toadworld.com wrote:

Reply by John Bowman
You're correct Phyllis: there's no need to manually perform a Team Coding upgrade when you move from Toad 12.8 to Toad 12.9. It happens automatically when you press the "OK" or "Apply" button in Toad 12.9's Team Coding Configuration window.

--
Phyllis Helton

Data Magician

phyllis.helton@cru.org

Hey Phyllis,

Sorry for the delayed response… Strange: it should not have had a CONFIG_ID of 21. Do you have multiple records in your TCX_CONFIG table? That table should only have one record in it, and the Config ID for that record should simply be “1”.

As another option, you could try to set up Team Coding using the beta. You’ll need to uninstall and reinstall Team Coding because I think somehow your installation may be corrupt.

-John

From: phyllis.helton_1150 [mailto:bounce-phyllishelton_1150@toadworld.com]

Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 11:18 AM

To: toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] How to copy Team Coding settings?

Reply by phyllis.helton_1150

I don’t think the image will help you - it is just an empty window for the Team Projects under the Team Coding Configuration.

I did just get a brainstorm that might help solve this. I spooled the SQL before opening the TC Config window. The first SQL statement after the stored procedure does a select from tcx_config where config_id = :config_id with the bind variable being set to 1. When I run the select without that where clause I get 1 record back - it has a config_id of 21.

I think this explains why I’m not seeing any projects. How do I get this corrected?

Is it possible that at some point in time a sequence is supposed to be reset, but isn’t? I’ve been running the TC Admin under a different user than the one who owns the TC objects, and that user does not have alter any on sequences and triggers. Do I have to run the admin as TC Admin?

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta
notifications altogether.

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

I only have one record in the tcx_config file, but put projects in and dropped them and put them in and dropped them. :slight_smile:

I'll find out what Gary wants to do about using the beta, and if not, I'll drop the objects and recreate them using the GA.

Thanks for your help with this!

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 6:58 PM, John Bowman bounce-jbowman@toadworld.com wrote:

Reply by John Bowman
Hey Phyllis,

Sorry for the delayed response… Strange: it should not have had a CONFIG_ID of 21. Do you have multiple records in your TCX_CONFIG table? That table should only have one record in it, and the Config ID for that record should simply be “1”.

As another option, you could try to set up Team Coding using the beta. You’ll need to uninstall and reinstall Team Coding because I think somehow your installation may be corrupt.

-John

--
Phyllis Helton

Data Magician

phyllis.helton@cru.org