How to find cause of compile errors in toad while compiling objects

Mostly used Allround Automations PL/SQL Developer besides self-made or collected scripts executed in sqlplus.

One of the function I fail to find (so far) in Toad 12.0.0.61 (Trial) is how to view the cause of a compilation error. I.e. when trying to compile a view where one of the used tables missing or grants missing etc I get this info from Toad: “15:44:04 Info: 1 view had errors on compile. Last error message: Success with compilation error”

at best I can read “ORA-00942:…” but no hint which of the two tables that are joined to build the view that are the cause of the failing compilation.

This could of course be solved with scripts or even easier with PL/SQL Developer… but how do I find the solution in Toad :slight_smile: ??

IN PL/SQL Developer I will the exact line in code wher the compile fail… anything similair in Toad ??

In trial to 7 November than we have to make a decision what tool to invest into.

BR

Peter

It sounds like you’re doing the compile with F5 which gives you similar output to SQL*Plus. Try using F9 to compile the code. You’ll then see the list of
errors in the error tab and you can click on them to highlight that line in the code where the error occurs.

From: peter.ossman [mailto:bounce-peterossman@toadworld.com]

Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:22 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] How to find cause of compile errors in toad while compiling objects

How to find cause of compile errors in toad while compiling objects

Thread created by peter.ossman

Mostly used Allround Automations PL/SQL Developer besides self-made or collected scripts executed in sqlplus.

One of the function I fail to find (so far) in Toad 12.0.0.61 (Trial) is how to view the cause of a compilation error. I.e. when trying to compile a view where
one of the used tables missing or grants missing etc I get this info from Toad: “15:44:04 Info: 1 view had errors on compile. Last error message: Success with compilation error”

at best I can read “ORA-00942:…” but no hint which of the two tables that are joined to build the view that are the cause of the failing compilation.

This could of course be solved with scripts or even easier with PL/SQL Developer… but how do I find the solution in Toad :slight_smile: ??

IN PL/SQL Developer I will the exact line in code wher the compile fail… anything similair in Toad ??

In trial to 7 November than we have to make a decision what tool to invest into.

BR

Peter

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Select that invalid object on the left panel (schema browser) and then choose “Error” tab on the right side.

This solution works on every Toad version…

Brg

Damir Vadas

Thanks for the effort but unfortunately neither work.

When in “Schema Browser” I try to compile with F9 nothing happen (pretty sure keyboard not broken) but when I hit F5 or the icon “Compile View” in left menu it (the toad) seems to make a compile as the screen flash. Checking tab “Error” gives the text “ORA-00942: table or view does not exist”. I.e. not much of a solution :wink: but ok it’s a hint that I can get just as easy from SQL*Plus.

BR

Peter

Open the proc/function/package in the editor and use F9.

There are also several compile options in the SB. If you compile with debug, you’ll see an errors tab come up in the SB with the line/column and the error
returned from Oracle.

For simplicity, it’s easier to load the proc/function/package into the editor since it’s likely that you’ll be wanting to fix the errors anyway.

Greg

Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2013 10:18 AM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] How to find cause of compile errors in toad while compiling objects

RE: How to find cause of compile errors in toad while compiling objects

Reply by peter.ossman

When in “Schema Browser” I try to compile with F9 nothing happen (pretty sure keyboard not broken) but when I hit F5 or the icon “Compile View” in left menu it (the toad) seems to make a compile
as the screen flash. Checking tab “Error” gives the text “ORA-00942: table or view does not exist”. I.e. not much of a solution :wink: but ok it’s a hint that I can get just as easy from SQL*Plus.

BR

Peter

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

You asked for an error and this is exactly what you get in mine post.

Now I do not understand what is your problem:

1. finding error cause when compiled failed

2. compiling is not executed as espected

Damir : Thanks! I might be confusing but I’m not looking for only the error message I’m looking for the cause. The example is basic but I choose that to not complicate things too much :wink: !! Apparently I failed :wink: !

I might be spoiled by PL/SQL Developer and what Gregory tells is what I’m looking for, i.e. a hint of what line in the code that fail or even better popup the source and highlight the lines with error/errors.

I know its overkill to use toad to solve this simpe problem but as I said its only to keep it basic.

Back to RTFM!

Peter,

Adding a few screen caps so you can see exactly what I’m talking about.

Sent: Friday, October 25, 2013 4:18 AM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] How to find cause of compile errors in toad while compiling objects

Reply by peter.ossman

Damir : Thanks! I might be confusing but I’m not looking for only the error message I’m looking for the cause. The example is basic but I choose that to not complicate things too much :wink: !!
Apparently I failed :wink: !

I might be spoiled by PL/SQL Developer and what Gregory tells is what I’m looking for, i.e. a hint of what line in the code that fail or even better popup the source and highlight the lines
with error/errors.

I know its overkill to use toad to solve this simpe problem but as I said its only to keep it basic.

Back to RTFM!

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Great thanks Gregory!

I think that would lead me to the cause and solution. Now I got to rush to drive home for the weekend.

BR

//Peter

HOME?!?!?! NO WAY!

Sent: Friday, October 25, 2013 8:26 AM

Reply by peter.ossman

Great thanks Gregory!

I think that would lead me to the cause and solution. Now I got to rush to drive home for the weekend.

BR

//Peter

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

I find this question and even more then answered …

:slight_smile: