Improving zooming with mouse

I found using CTRL+mouse roller a bit confusing (at least).
It’s because zooming is aligned to curent mouse position but project is aligned to top-left corner. In result there are situations where object pointed by mouse during zooming-out is running out of pointer area which cause change of zooming center. Then if we are using zoom-out and zoom-in one after one, it may lost of watched location.

How to reproduce

1. set project view to see some objects located near bottom right corner
  2. put mouse pointer over chosen object and zoom-out using ctrl+mouse roller without moving a mouse pointer. object under pointer will move out from pointer position
  3. zoom-in without moving mouse pointer. It will cause zooming into new location (not pointed object at beginning)

TDM v 3.6.6.7

Suggestion:
Lock zooming center (remember position of mouse pointer) while starting of zooming and use it till the end of the operation.

best regards
Message was edited by: Michal.K

Message was edited by: Michal.K

Hi Michal,

I believe zoom-in works fine. The only possible problem is with zoom-out and only in case you try to zoom-out to percentage when diagram is smaller than your workarea.

Zoom-in: Place your mouse over any object and use ctrl+scroll to zoom-in. Your current mouse position will be used as a center for this operation.

Zoom-out: Place your mouse over any object and user crtl+scroll to zoom-out. If your diagram is larger than displayed workarea, your current mouse position will be used as a center, but if your diagram is smalled than displayed workarea, all objects will be zoomed-out to left top corner - because there is no more white space left or top of your selected object.

Many graphical products work the same way, the only difference is that some of them use “unrestricted” area (no limit for white space on left, top, right and bottom).

Regards,

Vaclav

You confirmed only what I wrote. Thanx for that.
Don’t know what other programs work in the same way. Idea is good but needs improving.
Current behaviour while zooming out is very inconvenient: lost zoom centre if current project size is getting smaller than workarea.

What I suggest is to improve the behaviour. It will work in the same way and additionally fix the issue. I gave you a tip.

BTW: I would like to see in TDM possibility to scroll page with SPACE+mouse (like in other software)

best regards

I found that current behaviour cause problems not only if project size is smaller than working area.

If you start zooming-out near top-left corner of workarea, then centering point will be moving constantly away from starting position even if project is still larger than workarea.

best regards

Hi Michal,

In this case centering point is your mouse cursor position. All objects are zoomed-in/enlarged and if your mouse cursor is next to an object then the object may seem to move away. But in fact, the centering point is still the same - mouse cursor position.

Regards,

Vaclav

Hi Michal,

once again, thank you for your feedback. May I ask for an example of software that uses space+mouse and what it does exacly?

Thank you,

Vaclav

Good reference is Adobe PDF Reader (in overall all Adobe software)

When you press spacebar, workspace is going to be switched into scrolling mode (mouse cursor change to hand). Now you can glue mouse pointer to workspace by pressing a LMB (left mouse button). Since this, you can scroll workspace in any direction using mouse movement until you release LMB.
Spacebar may be released after pressing LMB however it may be required to be still pressed if you want to scroll page multiple times (larger area to scroll etc)

best regards

Hi Michal,

thank you. I tried it. To be honest, I have never used space and mouse the way you described. Instead of this, I always use the scroll wheel. Try to press the scroll wheel, move your mouse and release the scroll wheel on different position. It works the same way as space and LMB. And TDM works this way too :slight_smile:

Regards,

Vaclav

Hello
Thanx for tip. I didn’t knew this shortcut. In manual there is combination of middle mouse button which I didn’t connected with scroll (shame on me).
Even if using this combination harder to me than using space it may be matter of practice. If you don’t want to add another shortcut, current one seems to be enough.
thx for answer.

best regards