Intellisense sensitivity

This one is bothering me for while, it's about sensitivity of IS (especially for list of columns) for closing brackets, case etc.
Consider following sql :

select length(p.table_owner), sum( case when p.tablespace_name like 'BD%' then 1 end ) part_bd
from sys.all_tab_partitions p
group by length(p.table_owner)

when I start it with:
select length(p.

IS is working fine,

For :
select length(p.table_owner), sum( case when p.

IS is not working, same with the following:

select length(p.table_owner), sum( case when p. )

select length(p.table_owner), sum( case when p. end)

By not working I mean empty list is shown. I actually expect it rely just on a list of tables/views not a completeness of the statement or it's part.
Toad never was like all other Jave IDEs automatically closing brackets of all kinds, and I liked it, Why 'd you build such a dependency for IS.

I'd actually expect IS works in every one of those examples after "p." . not only when statement is ready.
Regards

This has unfortunately been an issue for some time and it's been logged long ago.

We use a parser to determine which table or view you're referring to and certain levels of incompleteness allow for parsing and others do not. In your case you're using an alias so we can't assume that the token prior to the period is a table or view.

I'll log a new issue here to look at some simple "parsing" in cases where we do not definitely know the reference. Maybe searching for whole word "p" in your example where it is not followed by a period and assuming that this is the alias of interest and that the word prior is the table will work in most cases. It will certainly not work in all cases.

I get your point Michel, on the other hand when adding another column to result like in described examples I'd still expect you can either "exclude" current expression (might be an issue with correlated subqueries) or maybe try to add missing closing brackets in current expression
for parsing to determine list of tables?

Try next week's beta. There are some improvements here that should allow your examples to work. I suspect it's not foolproof and that some incomplete SQL will still fail, but for the simple case where a closing parenthesis is missing it should be better.