Issue importing TXT file - TOAD DA 3.1.0

Hi there,

I’m having a very strange issue in both the new TOAD for DA 3.1 and TOAD 11.5 where I cannot import TXT files. I get a value cannot be null message in DA 3.1 and an Invalid Field Size in TOAD 11.5.

Is this a known issue? When I import the file as Excel it works fine.

I do have a built in Trigger on the table I am importing that automatically creates / adds the Primary ID key but that should not be the issue as the Excel file works fine.

Sorry one more add. TOAD for DA does not take CSV or XLSX files either. I can only get the import to work in TOAD for Oracle and I have to use the Excel format.

Sorry to hear that. But TDA does support importing .txt, csv, and xlsx file format. Is that possible to foward us the files you are trying to import to investigate? If not, could you please post the screenshot of error message and event log of failure.

Thanks!

Hi there,

Here is a sample import file in TXT and XLSX format. I’ve also attached the Import Script.

Interested to see what you find. I never had these issues in earlier TDA versions.
Daily_Import.tim (1.99 KB)

Hi there,

Here is a sample import file in TXT and XLSX format. I’ve also attached the Import Script.

Interested to see what you find. I never had these issues in earlier TDA versions.
Chase_Daily_RDR_sample.txt (1.85 KB)

Hi there,

Chase_Daily_RDR_sample.xlsx (9.87 KB)

Thanks for the files.

I looked at the import template file and found you were trying to import the txt file as fixed column width format. However, the file has a header and footer which does not comply with number of the columns in the file, that’s why it failed. Where did get the txt file? TDA export data to .fil file for fixed column width format. Was it from Toad for Oracle?

On the other hand, I was able to import the xlsx file without any issue. I’m using build 3.1.0638. and I tried include/exclude header and footer in the Excel file. Message was edited by: Kiki Message was edited by: Kiki Message was edited by: Kiki Message was edited by: Kiki

Message was edited by: Kiki

This is how the txt file looks like when I open it in notepad. You can see it have header and footer which will fail the import. In addition to that. this not in a good fixed column width format as you can see not all columns are aligned very well.

Hi there,

A couple of notes. I am on Version 3.1.0.638. In fact I didn’t have the issue until I upgraded to this version.

Another is that I receive the file this way so I don’t have much to work with there.

Also I don’t see a way in the Import Wizard to remove a Header/Footer. All I see is how to check a box that the first row is a Header. I’m checking that.

I tried just deleting the footer and I still get the error message when I try to import as txt or xlsx.

I’ve attached the error message. It’s erroring on my Primary Key field labeled “ID”. I have a trigger set up that automatically creates an ID each time a row is inserted. I don’t understand why it’s doing that because again I am importing the xlsx file into the full version of TOAD for Oracle and it works fine.

I’ve attached the Error log. Thanks.
Error Log.rtf (47.5 KB)

Thanks for the log file. I figured out why it is failing for the xlsx file. We have a PreScan function to make sure each non-null column has non-null value. But it kept scanning the column even if you skipt it, which failed the check. I’ve created CR99298 for this issue.