MSI modifiers

Hi,

I’m new here…

Is there any MSI modifier in order to istall the TOAD for Oracle in a folder other than the standard one?

I need to install the 32 bits client in a folder other than the “Program Files (x86)” due to an incompatibility wiht the parenthesys.

Thanks you all

I believe TARGETDIR=“c:\MyNewDir” is what you are looking for.

Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 9:34 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] MSI modifiers

MSI modifiers

Thread created by xaltube

Hi,

I’m new here…

Is there any MSI modifier in order to istall the TOAD for Oracle in a folder other than the standard one?

I need to install the 32 bits client in a folder other than the “Program Files (x86)” due to an incompatibility wiht the parenthesys.

Thanks you all

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hi Gregory,

Launching the MSI either as

msiexec /i ToadForOracle_Freeware_12.7.1.11_x86_En.msi TARGETDIR=“c:\Program Files”

or as

msiexec /i ToadForOracle_Freeware_12.7.1.11_x86_En.msi TARGETDIR=“c:\Program Files\Toad for Oracle 12.7 Freeware”

It keeps showing the “c:\program files(x86)\dell\Toad for Oracle 12.7 Freeware” as the destination folder.

Could it be that I’m using wrongly the modifier?

Thanks

Try removing the trailing backslash from your TARGETDIR

Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 9:52 AM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] MSI modifiers

RE: MSI modifiers

Reply by xaltube

Hi Gregory,

Launching the MSI either as

msiexec /i ToadForOracle_Freeware_12.7.1.11_x86_En.msi TARGETDIR=“c:\Program Files”

or as

msiexec /i ToadForOracle_Freeware_12.7.1.11_x86_En.msi TARGETDIR=“c:\Program Files\Toad for Oracle 12.7 Freeware”

It keeps showing the “c:\program files(x86)\dell\Toad for Oracle 12.7 Freeware” as the destination folder.

Could it be that I’m using wrongly the modifier?

Thanks

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hi,

Neither, same result. It takes the original destination folder

Xabier

You can also try INSTALLDIR instead of TARGETDIR. You may also want to consult the MSI params from Microsoft. Toad for Oracle installer obeys all of the standard ones.

Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 10:18 AM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] MSI modifiers

RE: MSI modifiers

Reply by xaltube

Hi,

Neither, same result. It takes the original destination folder

Xabier

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hi,

New discoveries…

If I set tit to INSTALLDIR=“c:\Toad for Oracle” it works fine and allows me to isntall on that forlder

If I set tit to INSTALLDIR=“c:\Program Files\Toad for Oracle” it looks like it still detects that it is a 32 bits version in a 64 bits OS and redirects it to “c:\Program Files(x86)\Toad for Oracle”

So it looks like it is not an issu on the modifiers, but on the Windows that does not accept the change of folder, but is able to still check and not allow to install 32bist SW in the"Program Files" folder.

I will cehck if I can bypass this issue, otherwise I will ahve to accept it to be installed out opf the “Program Files”

BR

One other thing…when you say you have incompatibility with the parentheses, what incompatibility are you talking about? Toad itself has no issues there.

I found a way in

stackoverflow.com/…/windows-setup-installer-project-forcing-installation-into-program-files-not

Even if it is not the most recommended option, they suggest to use

INSTALLDIR=“C:\Progra~1…”

I know it is not the best solution, but it is only for two computers, so I think we can survive with it…

BR

Regarding the incompatibility…

When using the TOAD with the ORACLE client version we have installed (ORACLE 10) for a very old application, it gives an error:

"Install Toad to a path that does not contain a parenthesis. An issue exists in Oracle 10g and older clients that prevents Toad and other tools from establishing a conenction when the tool’s installation path contains parenthesis. e.g. c:\Program Files(x86). See support.quest.com/…/12495."

So I neede the Toas in a different folder.

BR

You may just want to consider upgrading your Oracle client. Since the newer clients are backwards compatible, it shouldn’t be an issue.

Hi,

As indicated by Oracle, this is the last client compatible with the very old Oracle server version we have for the old internal applciation we have in place, so movign to a later client version is not an option.

When migrating to W8.1 it was a real challenge to make the application work.

The client we use now was the last one compatible with the server and also the oldest one compatible with W81.

Unless we migrate the server/applcation we cannot move to any later Windows version.

Xabier