Multiple Result Sets

I just started using TOAD and I was looking around in the Tips and Tricks site when I saw Result Set Management. In the screen prints on that site, I noticed that for the Results, there was a Set 1 and Set 2. On my TOAD, I don’t see how to set mine up that way. All I get is a Data Grid and everytime I run a sql, the original result set is overlayed by the new result set. I would love to be able to keep each result set which is what I am used to from other applications. Can someone tell me how to accomplish this? I attached a document with a screen print of the result set from the web site and what mine looks like.

Thanks

TOAD Results.docx (400 KB)

HI Annmarie. I know this thread is several months old, but I wanted to answer your question. The first screenshot appears to be from Toad Data Point / Toad for Data Analysts Freeware. The second screenshot appears to be from Toad for Oracle. Both editions are set up differently. I am unaware of an option for multiple result sets in Toad for Oracle. I hope this helps you as well as others looking for this answer.

I’m using the eclipse extension for Oracle. Is there any way to get multiple result sets when running a script that contains multiple queries? If not, are you considering adding that feature?

That is a feature in our flagship product Toad for Oracle - so it’s not outside reasonable to expect Toad for Eclipse to maybe add that in the future. As with any ideas and/or requests, it’s always advisable to use the idea pond feature of toad world to log an official request and for other users to vote on it - giving it priority. So you might try that …

I recently upgraded from Toad for Oracle 12.1 to 12.6. In 12.1 I had a result set window for each editor tab so I could easily compare between them. In 12.6 there’s one results window, and whatever I run in any editor tab overlays the previous results, This is so inconvenient that I went back to using 12.1.

Our shop wants to standardize on 12.6 and I’ve looked for options to control this but I can’t find it. Anyone know where it is?

Are you sure you’re executing your queries the same way? If you use F9, then the results will “stick” to your editor tab. F5 always overwrites previous results.
Turning on the history tab can help if you’re using F5

Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2015 9:04 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Multiple Result Sets

RE: Multiple Result Sets

Reply by Ruth B.

I recently upgraded from Toad for Oracle 12.1 to 12.6. In 12.1 I had a result set window for each editor tab so I could easily compare between them. In 12.6 there’s one results window, and
whatever I run in any editor tab overlays the previous results, This is so inconvenient that I went back to using 12.1.

Our shop wants to standardize on 12.6 and I’ve looked for options to control this but I can’t find it. Anyone know where it is?

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

2 Likes

Thank you for that, Brad. I’ve never used the function keys for my queries. Until this version, I always used the ‘Execute/Compile at caret’ button on the editor toolabar, which I guess is F9. On my 12.6 toolbar, that icon is grayed out and I only have available the ‘Execute as Script’ button, which now I see is F5. I fooled around with this and found that Shift-F9 runs the sql and keeps the output pegged to the editor window. Thanks so much!

I'm new to TOAD and SQL, but will use it heavily. A simple thing I wanted to see was the result of two simple querys in the Data Grid. I am sure with time I will come to learn it's purpose but the F5 key worked to show the two queries:

select tablespace_name from user_tablespaces;

select distinct owner from all_objects;

into two tabbed results labeled Grid 1 Grid 2.

Thanks for the help.