Toad World® Forums

Pick list not working for columns of aliased table in 10.6.1.3


#1

Hi!

Just upgraded from a much older version (8.6) and find that pick lists no longer
work.

What’s changed? I’ve selected every option in View | Toad
Options… | Toad Insight Object and in … | Toad Insight (except the
last – Ctrl + Click jumps to PLSQL object).

I found the following thread, too:
http://www.toadfororacle.com/thread.jspa?threadID=26168 .

But my pick lists fail with both synonyms and non-synonymed tables.

Just so I’m completely clear: I expect a list of columns to pop up after
typing, say,

select * from mytable t where t.

and waiting 250 ms

Help?

Thanks!

Fred


#2

You can try closing Toad and renaming your User Files\Aliases.txt file and
restarting Toad to see if there is some funk in there. This is what I see. As
long as you have the View|Options|Editor|Code Assist|“Enable Code Insight pick
list” option checked then you should see the same.

Michael
image001.png


#3

I had the same problem. Try prefacing the table name with the schema. That
worked for me, even though the synonym is valid.

Select * from myschema.mytable t where t.

Best regards,
Mike

Michael S. Zarzycki, MTS | Manager of Engineering IT | Sensata Technologies,
Inc. | voice: 508-236-1015 | fax: 508-236-3701 | www.sensata.com | The World
Depends on Sensors and Controls


#4

In View|Options|Editor|Code Assist there is a tree where you can check the
object types to be shown. Public Synonyms are unchecked by default. Have you
verified that Public Synonyms (or Synonyms if it is private) is checked? It
should be able to handle the synonym although I think that there is a bug where
you have a synonym to a synonym to a table or something like that.

Michael


#5

Thanks, Michael. You are correct. The “Synonyms” check box was off
in the dialog. Turning it on eliminated the need to preface the table with the
schema name. Hope this also helps Fred.

Best regards,
Mike

Michael S. Zarzycki, MTS | Manager of Engineering IT | Sensata Technologies,
Inc. | voice: 508-236-1015 | fax: 508-236-3701 | www.sensata.com | The World
Depends on Sensors and Controls


#6

I tried Michael Staszewksi’s trick and removed my ALIASES.TXT file. That
worked. Once. Now, nothing.

Both ‘Synonyms’ and ‘Public Synonyms’ are checked.

What else affects pick-list performance? Should I just roll back to 8.6?

Fred


#7

We’ll need some very specific steps to reproduce. I can’t reproduce this so a
full description of exactly what you are doing and what the objects are will
help. If you can’t post the exact query that is showing the problem then try to
get a reproducible case using SCOTT objects or one of the other demo schemas or
SYS objects.

  1. Please provide a sample query which does not work. Include information on
    each of the objects in the query. Are they synonyms? Public or private? Are they
    synonyms to synonyms? If not synonyms, are the tables owned by the schema you
    are logged in as?

  2. Does the query exist in an editor tab by itself? If not, what else is in the
    tab? If there is other code before/after the query does it make a difference if
    you add a blank line before/after the statement?

  3. How far are you drilling into the object? By this I mean are you just typing
    . and waiting or have you started typing letters after the
    period and are then waiting such as .ABC? If so, is ABC a
    prefix to more than 1 column in the table? If not, the picklist won’t show IIRC
    and just the one possible match should be inserted into the editor.

You can also use SQL Monitor (or SQL Tracker depending on your version of Toad)
to monitor all SQL sent to the DB by Toad to resolve your object. It is located
in your Toad installation directory. Start Toad, connect to database, open
Editor, start SQL Monitor, enable tracing of Toad, reproduce scenario. Send
results to us.

Michael


#8

Does it work if you preface the table name with the alias?

Best regards,
Mike

Michael S. Zarzycki, MTS | Manager of Engineering IT | Sensata Technologies,
Inc. | voice: 508-236-1015 | fax: 508-236-3701 | www.sensata.com | The World
Depends on Sensors and Controls


#9

Sorry, meant to say does it work if you preface the table name with the schema
in which it belongs?

Best regards,
Mike

Michael S. Zarzycki, MTS | Manager of Engineering IT | Sensata Technologies,
Inc. | voice: 508-236-1015 | fax: 508-236-3701 | www.sensata.com | The World
Depends on Sensors and Controls


#10

Thanks! I’ll do that. Not right away, I’m afraid, but Real Soon Now.


#11

That’s fine, take your time. Also, a first step may be to try this. In the Code
Assist options there is an option to cache the results. Uncheck that and try.
Caching will greatly improve performance of subsequent fetches, but if your
objects change often then this will result in incomplete results. It’s possible
that the cache is corrupt or outdated and it doesn’t find anything useful for
you. Unchecking that option forces a full refresh on every display.

Michael


#12

No, it doesn’t; I did try your suggestion as well. If you continue
interested, I’ll be posting a more complete description of the problem in
the next day or two.


#13

Please post what you have when you have time.

Thanks,

Michael