Toad World® Forums

Posting a string with 1000 characters into the editor

When I paste a string with 1000 characters in one line into an editor, TOAD crashes.

Can you reproduce this?

Thanks, Peter

No, but what bitness is your Toad and does it matter the content of the string? I just tried 1000 chars, but nothing meaningful. Also, include the call stack if an error report was generated.

Michael

64 bit, and the string was 1000 times “x”:

SELECT LPAD(‘x’,1000,‘x’) FROM dual;

I don’t have a call stack, windows tells me that TOAD has stopped working and tries to find a “solution”.

On 2017/08/08 00:08, Peter Lang wrote:

RE: Posting a string with 1000 characters into the editor

Reply by Peter Lang
64 bit, and the string was 1000 times “x”:

SELECT LPAD(‘x’,1000,‘x’) FROM dual;

I don’t have a call stack, windows tells me that TOAD has stopped working and tries to find a “solution”.

For what it’s worth, I pasted that string 485 times into the Editor in 64-bit 12.12.0.7 and .8 before Toad started letting me know that it doesn’t appreciate unreadably long lines by slowing down dramatically.

I’m running on Windows 7 with 16GB of RAM if that matters.

But no crashes of any kind…

Rich

Hmmmm…my email shows up here blank, so here’s the meager original content:

For what it’s worth, I pasted that string 485 times into the Editor in 64-bit 12.12.0.7 and .8 before Toad started letting me know that it doesn’t appreciate unreadably long lines by slowing down dramatically.

I’m running on Windows 7 with 16GB of RAM if that matters.

But no crashes of any kind…

Rich

Boom! I get it Peter with that string, but interestingly enough not with my original test string of ‘0123456789’ (repeated for 1000 chars). Looking.

Michael

Found it, but it’s outside of my hands. I’ll log. In the meantime disable the Code Analysis rule checks as you type option if you hit this enough to be a concern.

Michael

This was due to an overflow in a bit of old legacy parser code which we’ll get rid of in some near future. My fix now allows strings up to 1 MB (formerly 1000 characters). It should normally be part of some beta next week.

Andre