Print to PDF

To the TDM Team:

I am now trying to print ERDs to PDF files. I see the following issues:

1. I have certain printers set in Page Format. When Print is opened, the value is transferred as I expect. I change to the Adobe PDF printer and print. When I go back to Page Format, the printer value has changed to Adobe PDF. This should not happen. It is a one-way street.

2. Printing to PDFs works OK with D size drawings; 4 landscape and 1 portrait. But when I try to create a 17 wide by 11 tall landscape PDF, it fails. The PDF appears to be in portrait mode, cutting off part of the model. Steps are:

• Select Print
    • Change Printer to Adobe PDF
    • Select Properties
    • Select Layout tab. Orientation is Landscape.
    • Select Adobe PDF Settings. Change Default Settings to High quality Print. Page
      Size is set to 11x17.

Help would be much appreciated.

TIA,
Dave Reed

Hi Dave again ,

1. Yes, that’s true. It should not change the printer settings in Page format, therefore change request CR 86750.

2. We have been investigating on this issue a lot lately. See e.g. http://modeling.inside.quest.com/thread.jspa?threadID=32473&start=0&tstart=0.
    In short, there is a workaround to instal free PDF printer PDF reDirect from http://www.exp-systems.com/, where Landscape Tabloid is printed accordingly. There everything works just about great and it’s a relly good PDF printer.

Regards,
Lukas

Lucas:

1. OK. Hopefully it gets into 4.
  2. Per a previous discussion on PDFs, I tried a PDF program recommended by Bert, but it did not work. I will try this one.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,

1. It will be in next build of Beta most probably, code freeze for 4.0 was already more than a week ago.
  2. This PDF reDirect definitely works! It’s tested.

Regards,
Lukas

Lucas:

Thanks. PDF redirect works great.

Dave

Hi Dave,

yes, it does. A good pdf printer, isn’t it?

Enjoy working wuth TDM!

Cheers,
Lukas

Hi,

ad 1) I have certain printers set in Page Format. When Print is opened, the value is transferred as I expect. I change to the Adobe PDF printerand print. When I go back to Page Format, the printer value has changed to Adobe PDF. This should not happen. It is a one-way street.

CR86750 I made for this reported issue was closed, because the print settings in page format are only to enable faster and easier setting of format and to see if the format is supported by the currently set printer. It is not desired and optimal to save these settings from Page Format with the model.

ad 2) Printing to PDFs works OK with D size drawings; 4 landscape and 1portrait. But when I try to create a 17 wide by 11 tall landscape PDF,it fails. The PDF appears to be in portrait mode, cutting off part of the model.

Format 11x17" is called Tabloid and by definition it is only portrait orientation. Landscape format 17x11" is called Ledger. TDM implements this standard strictly for Tabloid and if the other printer keeps with the standard as well, you must use custom size 17x11" to get “landscape Tabloid”.

Regards,
Lukas