Toad World® Forums

RAM usage more than 16GB for Editor

Hi,

In 7.0.7 with no database connections and code completion off, I'm editing Ola Hallengren's maintenance solution script (easily found with any web search) which is more than 8000 lines and 400KB in size. RAM usage by Toad is high, which I suppose is expected, but if I open and close another editor tab, RAM usage by Toad alone peaks over 16GB. I have to quickly close Toad before the system thrashes itself to death, even with 16GB of physical RAM and an SSD (where the pagefile resides).

This may be the same as the "Toad for SQL server v7 gets very slow" thread, but thought I'd post in a new one just in case it's not since I have a specific repeatable cause and effect.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Rich

Hoping that our R&D or Support team can test with the same script and do some troubleshooting. Safe to assume that there's no significant consumption from other open apps at the same time as Toad?

Hi Rich,
we're looking into it, please hold on.

We've opened a defect TMB-1856 to solve this.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Hi Rich,
I did closer look to your script and I can confirm it is issue withou our SQL Parser. It means it is not related to "large file" but your syntax:

IF REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(@DirectoryStructure,'{DirectorySeparator}',''),'{ServerName}',''),'{InstanceName}',''),'{ServiceName}',''),'{ClusterName}',''),'{AvailabilityGroupName}',''),'{DatabaseName}',''),'{BackupType}',''),'{Partial}',''),'{CopyOnly}',''),'{Description}',''),'{Year}',''),'{Month}',''),'{Day}',''),'{Hour}',''),'{Minute}',''),'{Second}',''),'{Millisecond}',''),'{MajorVersion}',''),'{MinorVersion}','') LIKE '%{%'
OR REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(@DirectoryStructure,'{DirectorySeparator}',''),'{ServerName}',''),'{InstanceName}',''),'{ServiceName}',''),'{ClusterName}',''),'{AvailabilityGroupName}',''),'{DatabaseName}',''),'{BackupType}',''),'{Partial}',''),'{CopyOnly}',''),'{Description}',''),'{Year}',''),'{Month}',''),'{Day}',''),'{Hour}',''),'{Minute}',''),'{Second}',''),'{Millisecond}',''),'{MajorVersion}',''),'{MinorVersion}','') LIKE '%}%'

If you will remove these lines from your script than there is no memory leak anymore. Only these two lines of script will cause same issue if you put it to empty Editor.

As Daniel mentioned we have task for this item and we will let you know when we fix it.

That is an interesting statement, but as I'm only adding a wrapper onto Ola's original script in order to implement it here, modifying that script is out of scope for me.

Glad you were able to find the issue so quickly! If that fix will hit the beta first, let me know, and I'll try that out.

Thanks!
Rich