RE: Trouble configuring Toad for oracle 9.7.2 commercial with instant client

Works for me.

I setup a clean Windows machine – so as to be able to assure you nothing out of ordinary here.

I downloaded Oracle 12c instant client – 32-bit as per required since old versions of Toad are 32-bit (read my blog on this:
http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-oracle/b/weblog/archive/2012/11/28/running-toad-for-oracle-in-a-64-bit-environment-updated.aspx)

I unzipped instant client onto c: drive – so C:\instantclient_12_1

As per the Oracle instant client setup instructions – added this to my PATH env variable and created env variable TNS_ADMIN to same location (i.e. where I’ll
put my tnsnames.ora file)

Copied my tnsnames.ora file to that location.

Installed Toad 9.7.2 – no issues.

Started up Toad – my alias dropdown had all my tnsnames.ora entries and Toad connected without issue …

Forget that you’re on 64-bit Windows – did you download and unzip 32-bit Oracle client as required? Did you do the Oracle client setup – i.e. set those env
vars?

Bert

From: Michael Staszewski [mailto:bounce-mstaszew@toadworld.com]

Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2013 9:32 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: Re: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Trouble configuring Toad for oracle 9.7.2 commercial with instant client

You might have success searching Google for these errors. A quick search of net8 admin yields many hits.

The only things I can think of off hand are to first verify that your listener is running and that the db is started and registered with it. At the shell prompt execute...

lsnrctl status

Is it running? Do you you see your DB listed there as a service?

If not running, execute lsnrctl start. Run lsnrctl status again. Is the db showing?

If db not showing execute sqlplus / as sysdba. When you get to the SQL> prompt execute alter system register; and then get out of SQL*Plus. Execute lsnrctl status again. Do you see your db? If so, try Toad again. If your db is installed locally on your machine
I'd change the host in the tnsnames.ora file to be either localhost or 127.0.0.1 if it's currently using your network machine name.

Michael

On 07/18/2013 01:31 AM, kushal.mahajan wrote:

Yes, i did that with cmd . Pinged and saw two service names which were listed by listener . These are CLRExecProc and PLSExecProc if i am remembering it corrrectly .AFter
editing my tnsnames.ora file with service name listed by listener and On hitting connect button i got a
net8 admin error this time . Tried logon option of oracleservicesXE under services.msc . AFter restarting too , not able to see the results .

Regards,

Kushal Vedant Mahajan

bounce-mstaszew@toadworld.com

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: Re: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Trouble configuring Toad for oracle 9.7.2 commercial with instant client

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 19:11:35 +0000

Re:
Trouble configuring Toad for oracle 9.7.2 commercial with instant client

Reply by Michael Staszewski

You have a configuration issue. We have work in this area scheduled for Toad 12.1 to assist in resolving these issues.

On Login window, click the TNSNames Editor button. Verify that the host for the TNS names entry you're using is correct. Can you ping that host? In the TNSNames Editor you should also try to tnsping the database. See the lightning bolt icon on the toolbar.
Also, can you connect with SQL*Plus using that same client?

On 07/17/2013 02:52 PM, kushal.mahajan wrote:

RE:
Trouble configuring Toad for oracle 9.7.2 commercial with instant client

Reply by kushal.mahajan

well i installed a 10.1 instant client and it does resolved the problem .

But on connecting i got a ORA 12514 error now.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop
receiving emails
on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop
receiving emails
on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

View
and reply online
or reply-to-all to this email.